****WARNING: PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASE****
*TWO GAME BREAK BUGS PREVENT PLAY ON WINDOWS 7/8, FIXES BELOW*
This is an EXCELLENT game, an ancient chinese mythology version of KOTOR. However, this steam version WILL NOT launch on Windows 7 and 8 without a few back end tweeks. Lots of google investigation returned a lot of confusion. But I found the proper way to get this game running. Do the following semi-easy fixes depending on the errors you receive:
"FAILED TO FIND STEAM" BUG
This is because this game was made for older OSes, where steam is typically located in C: Programs, not C: Programs(x86). In order to fix this do the following:
1. In your Jade Empire folder change the file "JadeEmpireLauncher.exe" to "JadeEmpireLauncher_Backup"
2. In the same folder rename JadeEmpire.exe to JadeEmpireLauncher.exe
3. Right click My Computer(Called This PC in windows 8.1) and go to properties, then click Advanced System Settings, under the adavanced tab, click Enviroment Variables. Look for the "Path" variable, high light it and the edit button. A window will pop up. Put your cursor in the "Path Variable", it will be a Path to your Program(x86) folder. Go to the very end of the path already in there and add a ; a SEMI-COLON, NOT a : colon. This is going to seperate the first path from the new one.
4. After that semi colon, simply put in the past to steam that you use such as: C:\Program Files (x86)\steam. Hit Okay.
5. Please, REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER <- THIS IS IMPORTANT For some reason this game won't register this change unless you reboot.
"IN GAME STUTTERING" BUG
GREAT! You made it into the game. But it's running with this horrendous unplayable stutter even though you are running at a solid 30-60 FPS. Here is how you fix it:
1. Go to Jade Empire folder.
2. Open the JadeEmpire.ini file with notepad.
3. Find the entry ClampFPS=1 and change the 1 to a 0.
4*. (If you are only running one video card, skip to 5) If you are on a gaming laptop that runs a high performance video card alongside an intergrated one, this game almost ALWAYS will naturally try to run off the integrated card instead of the good card. Go into Your card's control panel and under 3d settings, click Add Program, select Jade Empire, then change it from Integrated to High Performance Card.
5. Turn off the steam overlay by selecting Steam->Settings->In-Game->Uncheck Enable Steam overlay.
6.And as always after doing this, REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER. The game WILL NOT recognize it if you don't.
This is a GREAT game and a lot of fun. But it wasn't updated for newer systems. These fixes aren't as hard as they found, Give them a shot.