Left 4 Dead, a series I simply cannot get enough of.
As I wrote my "extremely late" review for Left 4 Dead 1
, I figured I might as well do one regarding Left 4 Dead 2, in the same style. :)
Developed by Turtle Rock Studios and Valve itself, Left 4 Dead 2 is the sequel to Left 4 Dead.
Bigger, better, more succesful (based on numbers, not my own opinion) than before!
If you've read my Left 4 Dead review, most of these will be the same as it's basically the same game. ;DPros
● Unique Cooperative Gameplay in every Gamemode! (Campaign, Versus, Survival, Scavenge)
● The Lobby/Drop-in system works flawlessy allowing players to effortlessly finding a game.
● Free DLC.
● A New Gamemode! Scavenge!
● Mutation System, play or create your own gamemodes!
● Make your own Maps!
● Low PC Specs required.
● Get to play as Special Infected! (Yeah.. those Zombies..!) in Versus mode.
● A bigger variety in Special Infected compared to Left 4 Dead
● Very Easy to setup your own Dedicated Server.Cons
● Players have to download Maps manually, they are unable to download from the Server they are joining, same goes for Custom Made mutations.
● The Game is unpolished in regards to exploits and bugs, Valve has never responded to countless reports and complaints.
● No Matchmaking, you're very likely to end up with very unbalanced teams when joining Versus games.
● A weak Attempt at "Clan/team Matches" by introducing "Team Versus", "Team Scavenge" modes.
● Ragequitting is not punished at all.
The Community for Left 4 Dead 2 is very comparable to Left 4 Dead, in Public Games you can expect to be insulted and possibly even votekicked if you're underperforming in the eyes of your teammates. However, in Co-op gameplay this is a much less frequent occurence.
There however is still a breathing Competitive Scene, this scene is much better in terms of actually being able to finish your games as well as making buddies and playing on much more balanced and difficult "Gamemodes".
I'd advertise if I knew for sure it was allowed. :D
Current Status of the Game
As of this post, Left 4 Dead 2 has an 30-Day Average of 9033
The game is definitely alive and has games to join all the time in my area. (West-Europe)
Left 4 Dead 2 Costs $20 which is the same price as for its predecessor, Left 4 Dead.
Left 4 Dead 2, in its current state is well worth the full $20, even if you're going for just a little bit of Campaign and Survival. The more friends you have to play this with, the more fun you'll have.
● 5 Original L4D2 Campaigns.
● 6 L4D1 Maps DLC.
● 1 The Passing DLC.
● 1 Cold Stream DLC.