I have been a fan of Heroes of Might and Magic since Heroes II The Price of Loyalty. Heroes III is arguably the best in the franchise. I really enjoyed Heroes IV though.
And then came UbiSoft...
It seemed their mission was to destroy the beloved franchise. With Heroes V came lame, watered-down spell-casting. The graphics were good in 2007, I had no problems there. The inability to divide your troops in your army was bad. I had all but given up on Heroes of Might and Magic.
Then I saw Heroes VI. The graphics are fantastic. The animation is good. The storyline is interesting, if a bit underdeveloped. I like the ability to convert towns, forts, and dwellings. I have played this game for over 240 hours, and beaten all of the campaigns and expansions. I like the hours of playability it provides for one player. It doesn't hinge on multiplayer like so many other games do these days. I love the Necropolis in this game. The Altar of Eternal Servitude provides a deliciously twisted advantage as your army never dies, depending on if you have enough resources. The Haven is excellent despite only one shooter. I'm better with the Sanctuary than even the Necropolis. The Stronghold is just impressively strong. I like the Dungeon expansion.
Now for what I don't like:
1. I don't like how you have to go through UPlay whenever you turn the game on or off. "Synchronizing Your Saved Games With The Cloud" takes a very long time, and only works maybe 12% of the time. It is highly frustrating. I want to be able to click on the game and have it load. When I quit to desktop, I want the game to quit. This is the first game I've had to deal with these issues. The benefit UPlay seems to provide does not outweigh the cost of time and sanity.
2. I don't like how I reached Platinum level before I completed all of the campaigns. On paper, I should be one of the best players in the world. Once you max out on experience there really isn't much to play for. On campaigns the maximum hero level happens too quickly. The maps are epic in scope, and there is so much to do, but if you max out your levels one-fifth of the way through the map then it's not fun anymore. I understand that the experience keeps going into the dynasty weapons, but you really don't see that happening. Let us players continue to grow!
3. I don't like the Haven's faction ability. They are pretty much the antithesis of the Necropolis except for the faction ability. Necromancy heals troops, but Guardian Angel doesn't? At least until level IV. No, the Haven faction ability should be healing.
4. The Necromancers differ in this game in that they don't raise skeletons after each combat. Other than that, I love the Necropolis.
5. I do not like that troop growth is centered around your overall kingdom. I miss having a lot of troops. Instead of only getting 8 Core creatures a week, for instance, you should get those 8 Core creatures from every castle you own plus every creature dwelling every week. That is one upgrade I do not like. At least you have the ability to divide your troops in your army, and among secondary heroes. Give us more troops!
6. I have a very nice gaming computer, and Heroes VI still glitches to where I have to just shut the game down and start back at the last save. And that takes forever because I'm waiting for Uplay to sync. Glitches happen, I know, but I haven't heard of any patches in months.
7. The Inferno has been completely castrated. It's so hard to look at. I get the Chaos aspect, but still...Inferno has been done better. Get rid of the Inferno and bring back the Sylvan elves.
8. I absolutely hate spell recharges. The whole point of having a Magic hero is to be able to obliterate enemies with spells. Casting Lightning Bolt once every three turns sucks when in previous games you could cast it every turn. The mana is mismanaged in this game too. Your hero may have 200 mana, but each spell costs 45, 37, or some other random amount of mana? No, take some lessons from what 3DO did correctly. Unleash the spellcasters again!
9. Though I like having the skills and abilities options Heroes VI provides, the levels are few and far between, so it's hard to take the path you want to take when you level up. That's just a minor issue with me though.
10. I hate how the Boss fights give you a pre-set number of troops. What is the point of building an army for the whole map if you can't use all of your troops in the final Boss fight?! I understand the need for a challenge, but there is something so satisfying in having an overwhelming army that you just spent 3 hours running around assembling. I like the introduction of Boss fights into this game, but please let us bring in our full army and wreak havoc!
11. Maybe it's just me, but the AI is super hard on the Scenarios. I can barely beat a single AI on Easy let alone levels with multiple enemies. I have no idea how the enemy assembles such a huge army before I do, etc. Maybe I just suck, I don't know (I don't think I suck that badly). That's just another issue I have.
Overall, I love this game. It has given me hours of playability, and for that I am grateful. It is a visually-stunning and beautiful game. The Inferno is so hard to look at, but the beauty of the Sanctuary makes up for it. If they make a Heroes VII I hope it is a lot like Heroes VI, but with the changes I have suggested. Take away a cliche Demon threat and give us some other storyline. Let the armies grow like they did with 3DO and Heroes V so the Might heroes can thrive, and take the recharges off the spells so the Magic heroes can thrive. I recommend this game highly, but with those caveats.
What is dead may never die!