Original Star Wolves was an old school space tactics game, with a unique and challenging space fighter combat and a linear, but immersive story. You command a mothership with several fighters, which fly in 3d space, try to get on each other's tail and make attack runs, with real-time calculation of shell hits and importance of positioning. This one was made by the fan community of the first game, as the continuation of their highly appraised story mod. With all the consequences of a low-budget indie game, both good and bad.
- Immersive, highly branching story - if you loved the first game, or story mod, this one is even better. Long-waited ending to plot twists of original story mod. It's good to meet old characters and participate in their deeds.
- Game engine is improved to it's limits. Obsolete, but good-looking graphics; many new features were added like at last meaningful capital ships.
- Lovely attention to details.
- Combat is challenging, balance for the weaklings!)))
- Too heavily sripted. Though no game breaking bugs, quest logic could sometimes go hairy.
- No voice acting. Just plain walls of text.
- Outdated engine; some hardware/OS issues could arise.
- Combat is poorly balanced: it could be either difficult and unforgiving, or boring and tedious (thankfully, fast). Tactical options are fewer now - firepower is the winner.
Overall, it's really a gem, despite some possible problems. If you love space games, or games with well-crafted combat system and gameworld, with slow pace and high immersion - you should play it. I'd recommend play Star Wolves 1 first, to become acquainted with game world and characters; gameplay-wise, they are the same. *
* Though it's important to know that Star Wolves 1 ending or whole Star Wolves 2 story is not canon. Unfortunately, Empire Legacy story mod - the prequel to Civil War - was not translated to English.