A lot of discussions have been going on about Krater. While some players praise the fresh rpg setting and the challenging quests, others critisize the imbalanced powers of the monsters.
Here is what I experienced:
- easy to get started, self-explanatory game mechanics, well-made learning curve
- a solid story about abusing power, elite leaders and supressing the masses, set in a post-nuclear Sweden, with a good sense of humour
- long-time motivation for those who love challenges, as there are perfect builds to find, the limbo (a 45-level-dungeon) to raid etc.
- Nice graphic style, clean and fitting sounds and soundtrack
- Disastrous balancing: Some enemies are way too weak, others will bring your team down in no time. It takes a lot of time to find a good build for the final battle - but it does not depend on your own skill, but more on puzzling together different boosters (that improve strength, defense, stamina etc)
- Boring quests, standard rpg loot & collect tasks
- The coop mode is only three levels - well, for a game that calls itself a coop game, it's sparse, to put it mildly
In the first ten hours of playing, I was about to tell friends to try out the game, as it had this fresh setting and things went on pretty well, absolving quests and looting dungeons. But then I was stuck more often due to strong enemies, no money to buy upgrades, and misspent boosters. The final battle got pretty frustrating as I did not find a build good enough to beat the final boss. Also, until today, I never found a single player in the coop lounge to join a game.
Concerning that, I would not recommend to buy this game until one is going for a challenging rpg.