Krater is a game I really want to like, although it has some shortcomings.
First, the postitives:
+ post-apocalyptic, yet "fresh" setting (a krater in future Sweden)
+ nice art style
+ doesn't take itself too serious (also some nice pop-cultural references)
+ very cool system to modify skills and chars (via boosts/implants)
+ crafting system
+ "meaty" crits and nice fx
+ teleport to world map from everywhere
+ good loot is scarce (a plus in my book)
+ great name generator
Now the not-so-positives:
- booooring dungeons (only a few tile sets and it gets repetitive fast), almost no interactive objects or surprises and only a few rare special bosses
- much back-tracking if you want to explore the whole map
- opponents are just static groups in regular intervals in the dungeons
- not much tactic involved, more like button-smashing
- chars aren't really unique (with the exception of the DLC chars), they are randomly assembled and you can hire them in many towns
- chars have limited levels, which you can expand with money to a max of lvl 15 (which you can reach in maybe 2h per char), after that there is no char evolution other than gear/implants
That being said, this game would have had huge potential. Better maps and more interesting battles would have helped much. It just feels too generic as is.
Imo, the best thing would have been, if the game had had turn-based or rtwp-combat with a deeper skill system. I'm sure it would have been a (indie) success with that.
I'm giving this a thumbs-up, although the devs didn't realize the potential of the game. So far I have fun. Don't know if I will finish it though...