Stronghold Crusader came out mid 2002 after the succesful Stronghold in 2001. Stronghold Crusader is set in the Middle East during the crusades rather then Europe like the first one, hence the name Crusader. This is a real time stratergy game with the focus of killing the enemy Lord/s. Careful though as he will be very strong and can take over 10000 archer arrows! don't worry it is done on purpose so you can kill him at a range, so best to send 10 plus swords men at him.
If you played the Original like I did many moons ago there are changes in this HD edition and NONE! are bad. There are 8 more characters to verus, more resolution sizes and graphics has imporved. Everything else is the same as the original which is amazing!
So the Pro's:
- Personally the best out of all Strongholds
- Unique RTS that requires not only military stratergies but also civil (do you make them drug and fed or starve and whip them?)
- Arabian units are an awesome edition giving alot more unit choice
- Fire implementation in the game is great, see random guys on fire turn a city into a flame ball (happens more often then you think), yes this is a pro!!
- Large campaign and a few side stories 'missions'
- Great to plan with mates (LAN or over the net)
- Replayability in custom maps or make your own which is easily shared to other pc's when trying to match make
- alot of challanging Lords to play
- Fun castle building and desgining to fit all military and civil works in and around
- 400 unit pop count, may sound like alot but it isn't when you are trying to kill 7 Lord's at once
- The Large map for 8 Players can seem very small in most instances
- If AI Lords placed close together or near iron it is create holes or even block themsleves in starving their kingdom.
- No unit or building healing (can repair towers and that's it)
- Would be good to make AI even harder, they have Lords to difficulty but it would be good if you can adjust it more
- Most of the time units will not attack the enemy until they are either told or the enemy are already bashing their face in
- Enemy AI with their army can be very disorganized making them easy prey
Overall I love this edition of Stronghold Crusader HD, I will continue to use it and LAN with friends. If you want a LAN game to kill some time this is great for you! (better to vs your friends for more of a challange).
any questions don't be afriad to ask.