Indsendt: 10. januar
I recommend this game highly. It is a great game for those interested in an FPS that goes to different points in history.
Well, if you have an older Nvidia graphics card anyway. Running a GTX 970 the Physx features of this game wouldnt work, even with legacy drivers installed (fog, leaves, weapon smoke and other particles) - without these the game just isnt as good IMO. Therefore, i had to play on an old 9600GT to get PhysX working. Worse; It wouldnt run on my Radeon card at all.
EDIT: Tested on Windows 10 Tech Preview 64bit. Its not the OS that's causing the issue for some people. You just need an older GPU
Technical problems aside, the actual game:
- Fantastic idea - Travelling back to various periods including WW1 and the Civil war. These arent exactly common in other games and it was a refreshing change, and on the whole they did it well. They actually explain the time tavel part of it too, and the plot involves 2 opposing groups fighting to either preserve or change history.
- Good levels - who doesnt want to form up in rank against the confederates at Antietam, or break out of a WW2 concentration camp?
- Reload animation minigame - get it right and it speeds up the reload, get it wrong and it jams and takes longer. Great mechanic.
- Weapon upgrade system
- Fairly good voice acting, and chatter from other sodiers on the battlefield
- Slight choice to pick the mission you want to do next
- Feeling like a badass when you are wrecking Romans and Confederates with future weaponry
- Maps arent as open as they appear, invisible walls and linear design
- occassionally getting stuck to surfaces
- A few turret sections that are only ok
- you can bypass the necessity for reloading by switching to secondary and using it, by the time you go back to your primary weapon it has reloaded itself. This takes away from the feel of the game, especially in the civil war with muskets that should take a while to reload.
- The ending leaves the game open a bit for a sequel thats likely never coming.
In conclusion though, the negatives don't outweigh the positives for me and I think if you have an older nvidia card this game is definitely worth a shot. If you can get it working with PhysX the graphics hold up surprisingly well, and the game has a great concept and its a hell of a lot of fun.