You read correctly! Many people have asked for our Editors for quite a while and we've always wanted to fulfil that wish. We're getting really close now, as we're now launching both Trine Enchanted Edition and Trine 2 editor BETAs on Steam!
There are two different editors, and a different Beta for both of them. Even though the editors look alike, there are some differences, which is why we have created separate forum discussions for both of them. Please direct your questions and possible issue reports to the relevant forum discussion. You can also contact us by email: support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com. Also pay attention to which discussion you are posting to; the editors have some differences, so make sure to post in the correct discussion or clearly mention the editor version in your email.
Trine Enchanted Edition editor forum discussion
Trine 2 editor forum discussion
More information at our wiki page
Note that the editors are pretty difficult to use if you don't know what you're doing, and there's very little documentation or tooltips - this is actually one of the reasons we've held off releasing the editors to the public before. There still aren't very thorough instructions, but we have opened a wiki page (linked above) and provided some very basic instructions on how to use our editors. It's an open wiki after you've registered, so anyone can edit and post information, and we hope that people will start to share their knowledge with everyone. We'll also be updating the wiki ourselves and tracking that all the instructions are correct and up-to-date.
The Frozenbyte Editor is a very diverse tool. This is what we use to make games like Trine and Trine 2, and it’s based entirely on our own technology. You can edit existing maps, make new maps and do all kinds of things with it. If this sounds like fun, go a head and play and experiment!
Note: Both public editors are still in BETA stage, so you're likely to run into some issues. We appreciate feedback and bug reports (direct those to the linked forum discussions above). Just remember to give as detailed a description of your issue as possible and also include the Beta's version number in your report.
How to Launch the Editors
Note that there are two separate Editors. Launching the Beta requires owning the relevant game (Trine Enchanted Edition or Trine 2) on Steam for Windows.
The below instructions are for the Trine Enchanted Edition editor
. Click here for instructions for the Trine 2 editor.
BETA branch name: editor_beta
BETA branch description: Editor BETA
BETA branch password: FrozenbyteEditorT1
1. Download Trine Enchanted Edition from Steam
2. Open your Steam Library
3. Right-click Trine and choose Properties
4. Navigate to the BETAS tab
5. Enter the following password to the access code field: FrozenbyteEditorT1
Note: If the code doesn't work, try to restart your Steam client.
6. Make sure you have the editor_beta chosen from the upper "Select the beta you would like to opt into:" menu and then close the window
7. Open up the Properties window for Trine again, and select the "LOCAL FILES" tab, then click "BROWSE LOCAL FILES"
8. Run editor_initialize.exe
9. Install "Microsoft .NET Framework 4" and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable" packages when prompted
10. Select path for editor installation (for example: "C:\TrineEditor")
From now on you can run the editor directly from editor.exe
When the BETA is over or when you want to opt out of the BETA, you can navigate back to the BETAS tab in the Properties and opt out of the beta from the drop down menu
Please see more info at: http://frozenbyte.com/wiki/
- System requirements
- The BETA save files do not work with the current release version, so you will lose all progress you have achieved during the BETA if you opt out of it before the actual release. Progress you have made before you entered the BETA should not be affected.
- Beta branch will enable patch 2.11 as well and the patch isn't online multiplayer compatible with official released Trine Enchanted Edition v2.10
- Once the Editor BETA ends, patch 2.11 will be released to Steam users and some DRM free stores
- Editor is only for Windows and only for Steam users due to Steam Workshop requirement
- Remember to mention the Beta's version number when submitting bug/issue reports. Also mention which editor you are using (Trine Enchanted Edition or Trine 2) to avoid confusion, as there are some differences between the editors. Submit the reports to the relevant forum discussion or via email: support[at]frozenbyte[dot]com
- Editor wiki
- See the forum discussions for Trine Enchanted Edition and Trine 2 editors for known issues and changelogs.
- Please direct your questions and possible issue reports to the relevant forum discussion.
Thank you all for your continued support! We hope you enjoy the BETA. :)
We launched a beta of the Enchanted Edition on Steam in June, and now we are happy to report the time has come for the official launch.
Check out the launch trailer below and prepare to be enchanted. :)
You can read more about the Enchanted Edition from our blog and from the Trine Enchanted Edition page at our website. The short version below:
The Enchanted Edition is a free update for Trine with added features, such as the online multiplayer. The updated version does not impact the original game. Instead, both versions are available and can be selected from the game launcher. At the moment the Enchanted Edition is only available in Steam for Windows, but we will be adding the Mac and Linux versions afterwards.
We also want to give big thanks to the Steam community! We have received lots of support and help with the beta. Working on the Enchanted Edition for you wonderful people has been great.
But enough, talk, right? We'll shut up (in a bit) and leave you a screenshot featuring the three heroes below. You can see more enchanting screenshots from our blog post. Have fun playing! :)