Empire: Total War is a great in my oppinion, although it do have some elements that should have be done better. Average optimalization or many identical looking units for each country (i.e. line infantry) gave you that feeling that it could be done better. Fortunatelly, year after the release of Empire, Napoleon: Total War came out.
What does it offer?
- a lot of great looking units (including a lot of exclusives, of course);
- several well made campaigns presenting Napoleon's career in Italy, Egypt and in whole Europe; one campaign that allows you to play as one of the strongest countries among anti-French coalition: Great Britain, Russia, Austria, Prussia;
- a lot of historical provinces (with some errors like Warsaw as the capital city of the province of Great Poland, while the real capital of it is Poznań);
- a lot of nations that can be freed or can free themselves;
- more options after conquering a province (you can choose for example if you want to annex it or create a puppet if there is possibility)
- breathtaking naval battles;
- being Napoleon in one of his historical battles (i.e. Austerlitz, Borodino) including battle of Waterloo, which can be made historical (playing as Great Britain) or ahistorical, trying to win this battle by playing as France.
This game also allows you to play a multiplayer campaign with other players, Nice thing, especially when you can try to play as for example Ottoman Empire and try to beat your mate who is playing as France. Normal multiplayer battles allow you to play 2vs2, 3vs3 or 4vs4 games with a lot of maps: from classic grassy one to those that need good maneuvers to win. Some people who leave the game might be annoying, especially when it's ranked and you're winning, but in general it's a lot of fun.
Summarizing, Napoleon: Total War is a very good game that has got the things that weren't in Empire and adds some other improvements. If you like Total War series and Napoleonic age, then you're definitely going to love it! :))