It's got potential but do realize it is early access and an alpha. If you can't handle incomplete games with glitches and bugs -- look elsewhere.
Potential is nice - StarForge had mass potential and so have many other games. Some reach it, others don't so go in knowing the risks and judge it based upon it's current state for playability -and- your willingness to risk based upon that potential.
A list of things to look at:
- The skill-point system only works multi-player so you won't skill up in single player.
- Multiplayer you will end up against leveled up oponents and those levels have meaning and high value. Lots and lots of value to being leveled up here.
- Gathering requires hacking a harvester which then can take quite a while to gather things - you can't harvest anything.
- to get that hacking device you must find it.
- Robot NPC's drop nothing. You need to hunt through ruins to find weapons, ammo and other supplies.
- ammo is fairly scarce for the quantity of robots you'll bump into - again, no points for dealing with AI opponents. You're best bet is to run/aviod them.
- robots can pop up at any point near or far. They have been toned down to 2 shots to kill you but that's the best you'll get.
- AI robots cannot aim upwards. If you are above them, they can't hit you with their weapons -- if at range and above, they can and will hit you.
- AI robots can walk through walls that you build. So if you build, make the building tall and use stairs to get up there.
- You need to find power for your unit - not those silly solar cells but nuclear power. Without it, you won't be able to power up the capacitor to run, jump, etc. Extra capacitors are good but you shouldn't need too many of them.
- picking up anything early will stop your running. Anything except a nuclear power units. The solar power cells weigh a ton for the energy they give, which slows you down.
- many items are sunk in the ground and other items - you'll see loot markers but can't loot the item nor even know what it is.
Again, it's got potential but that potential has a long way to go to be achieved. IMO - worth supporting with funds but don't expect a highly clean and polished version at this time.
It runs well but it's not done yet.