Time to review this with a Pros and Cons list...
1. Public Tavern = People everywhere whining and asking things like, "How do you play?" and "Why does this game suck so much?" And there is always a hoard around the forge and tavern-keep that makes walking around hard.
2. Requires constant internet connection = All file are on their servers, not your computer. This means if your internet goes out, you can't do a thing. And it means long wait screens while it downloads the map you just tried to enter. If you have slow internet or frequent outages, this game is not for you.
3. Summoner = The Summoner no longer uses his own pool of Defense Unit points (Minion Units). Instead, he draws from the same DU as everyone else. This makes him a character that is now a builder like any other except that he can't attack. Two pets doesn't really make up for this and minions are not good at being the only thing on the field. He is most pointless now that he costs other builders their points.
4. Costumes = Completely pointless. Armor is visible and that cannot be turned off. So what you look like under all the cool little helmets and masks and shields seems almost pointless by the end of even the first level.
5. Eternia Crystals = The crystal is now no longer customizable. Only look it has is the default look. Sad. Really, really sad.
6. In Game Store = Yes, there is a store in the game that costs real money. Yes, it is just for cosmetic items when you are playing on Steam. Yes, it still stinks. In-game stores that use real money on a game you already paid real money to buy is dumb. It's tied on annoying level with Release-Day DLCs for me. I already gave you money to buy the game and now it's "Oh, wait, you wanted the entire game? That'll be an extra $20."
7. Perma-Death = Perma-Death in Hardcore??? Why? Just why? Never playing that mode.
8. Two friend systems = o.O If you play on Steam, please note that there are two social systems in the game: Steam and Playverse. This gets confusing fast... "Wait, I just added that person, how do I have a friend request from them. Oh, this is Steam that is Playverse." "Why aren't they showing up in my friends or this group?..." Etc.
9. Tooltips = There are none. Happy button-guessing folks!
10. Tutorial = My sister had not a clue what to do as a first time player and I had to show her everything. A tutorial to do that would have been really nice...
11. No Split-screen = I used this all the time on the old game and I have actually already missed it. Please patch it in.
12. Box System = They made it worse. I didn't know that was even possible. It's like an apps touchsreen now with a bad PC overlay on it.
1. Single or Multiplayer Missions = I can play with random people or just my friends. A welcome early patch that was really, really needed. Works great now.
2. Visible Armor = This is awesome. Sure, for most of the game you will look like you covered yourself in hotglue and rolled around in a junkyard... But once you hit max and get a real set of armor that all matches: You will look awesome.
3. Dyes = They now sell dyes of different colors at the Tavern-keep's place. And most items have 5 to 6 dye slots for colors on it you can change. Yes, for people who like micromanaging every little detail of your character (aka: people like me), this is awesome. They are low in price so you can change colors a lot. :)
4. Pet hatching = You get eggs and weight for them to hatch as you run around and do things. AKA: Pokemon eggs. It is actually quite fun to see what will pop out of each egg. Awesome system.
5. Coins = MANA IS NO LONGER MONEY!!! You no longer have to try and use Mana for everything and worry about lost Mana all over the map. Gold coins enemies drop last longer than Mana and you don't have to feel bad burning through thousands of Mana a battle in the later stages with you skills.
6. All DLCs built in = ...need I even say why this is nice and awesome?
7. Dashing = You can dash! ...four times... ...than your meter needs to recharge over-time...
8. Two weapon slots = Switch out to a different weapon quickly when they are resistant to your main one. Very, very nice.
9. Graphics = Slow to load, but once they do, they are awesome!
10. Fun = The first Dungeon Defender was fun, this one is fun. They are the same game though.
11. Co-Op Awesomeness = Grab a few friends and go to town. Just plain more fun with more friends.
12. Loot system = Fewer drops of better quality? Individual loot? Both very nice.
This really just seems to be you paying money to help them test PlayVerse...
Not seeing enough new content here to warrant a re-release of the same game. I guess the balancing issues and hacking are reasons they are saying that this came out, but I see no real reason to buy this if you own the original with all DLCs. Dungeon Defenders (Original version) was and is a great game... Stick to it if you own it. Though if you don't own it, this might be a great one to pick up.
Only reason I like this game over the original? You can put shiny armor on and dye it a bunch of different ways.