**Update as of 10-18-14, old review at bottom**
=I reccomend reading the old review for a basic background of the game=
The Robocraft Development team has finally rolled in to updates that fix some problems.
TL;DR: Removing repair costs didn't help much, you don't earn almost any money from games, all weapons are still OP in their own respects.
>Lets first say the one major pro of the updates: The matchmaking is now balanced.
1. First of all, repair costs have been removed, but lets elaborate on why that is redundant.
-When repair costs were around, you would never lose more money than you earned (unless you were Tier 5 or higher). For example, if your Robo was destroyed, you would earn 900 RP but get 800 taken away, in the end getting 100 RP. Removing the repair costs did nothing really, because now if you die you only earn 100 RP. To compare, when you play a game now and earn 100 RP, and lets say you played that same game when repair costs were still around, you would earn 900 but get 800 taken away. Bottom of the line, you still earn the same amount of money from games (actually it seems less now, I will explain in 2.) you just don't have the illusion of losing money from repair costs.
2. You dont earn **** money in games unless you are a premium member.
-Even with the 5% RP boost from premiums, if you don't win the game you don't earn almost any money. Kills used to be the only way to get money in Robocraft, and winning got you close to no extra RP. I think they tried to fix that, and now its the complete opposite. I frequently get 1-2 kills and 1000 CPU destroyed in one game, which is decent, but if I die in that game, or if we lose, I only get 600 RP, and I'm Tier 5. You hardly earn any money, and it seems the only way to get money is by winning. The game is becoming more and more pay-to-win, because if you cannot earn money you can't buy the ridiculously expensive items that help you survive in a game.
3. All weapons are still OP
-No, just not plasma cannons. Almost all of the weapons are overpowered, ESPECIALLY the new healing guns. The only weapon that is balanced in my opinion are railguns.
+Personally I am a SMG Land Tank. I still think Plasma Bombers are OP. All my armor was fully upgraded to my Tier's armor and I have a 3 block thick capsule protecting my pilot seat but still managed to get one-shotted by plasma high fliers.
+Though I am a SMG user, I still think their range is bull****, and they are ridiculously overpowered, and they actually got a range BUFF, but you know what, they do need the range to counter the OP plasma bombers. They are trying to fight fire with fire, OP with OP, but that does not work, and Robocraft is a perfect example of this.
+The new healing guns are my new favorite weapon to complain about. The fact that they heal and do a ♥♥♥♥ ton of damage is ridiculous. You may say the healing gun needs damage so the healer can defend themselves, and yes, they do, I agree. But the thing is they do as much, if not more damage as the other weapons. AND they can heal. I say keep the healing but nerf the damage. To put it into an easier perspective: All the weapons have one pro: They do damage, except for the healing guns, they have 2 pros: healing and damage.
To sum up my edited review, I am still personally dissapointed with the game, and I do not reccomend it. When these issues are fixed, and no new ones arise, you will most likely see a thumbs up from me,
v OLD REVIEW v
Great concept for a game, but at its current stage I would not reccomend it. Very rage inducing and boring for a number of reasons. (TL;DR at end, scroll down if you are lazy :P)
First, lets start off with some basic info about the game.
-When you die in a game, you do not respawn and you have to pay in-game currency (RP) to repair your vehicle. (However you always gain more RP then you lose repairing your vehicle, it compensates for this. So in short, you gain barely any RP if you die, but you can never lose RP from a match.[EDIT: After Tier 5 you lose more RP than you earn])
-Players are catergorized in Tiers from 1-10, each progressing Tier has much stronger weapons and armor.
-There are 3 types of weapons: Machine Guns, Plasma Cannons, and Railguns. Machine Guns are short range, are easy to use, have medium damage and a high fire rate. Plasma Cannons have high range, not as easy to use (but still pretty easy), have high damage and a medium fire rate. Railguns have a super long range, are pretty easy to use, have high damage and a very slow fire rate.
-There are 3 types of vehicles that you can build: Land vehicles, hovercraft, and high-flyers (airplanes).
1. The game matchmaking is horribly unbalanced. Players are catergorized in Tiers from 1-10. Basically your Tier is how strong and advanced your vehicle is. You would think would would be matched with your own Tier, but no. It frequently pairs you up with people who are 1-2 tiers higher than you. The thing is about tiers is that if someone is even only 1 tier above you, they could/will most likely have a huge advantage over you. So if you are
in a game with higher tiers, it tries to balance it out by giving your team more people, which does not help at all. This is because a higher Tier will have more armor and more advanced weapons, so if there are more people that are lower Tier vs. only 1 or 2 higher Tiers, the higher Tiers will absolutely wreck the lower Tiers.
2. 50% of people use the OP Plasma Cannons. Plasma Cannons are basically explode-on-hit grenades. They are ridiculously overpowered. They can literally 1-shot people from across the map 5 seconds into a game if you get lucky. (This has happened to me at least 3 times in my 10 or so hours of playing.) To make it worse, there are airplanes (referred to as high-flyers in-game) that can use these devasting weapons. If your team doesn't have any railguns to shoot down these fast, hard to hit vehicles then it is GG, unless the other team is extremely bad.
3. Repetitive gameplay. There are only about 4-5 maps and most matches don't last longer than 5 minutes. Gameplay variety is almost nonexistant after your first few hours. It is the same thing over and over for me at least: spawn in, drive to one of the sides, and either A. Get killed by a higher Tier, B. Get killed by a high-flyer plasma cannon, or C. Get killed by the entire enemy team that for some reason decided to go one way. Of course, there are victories, but they don't have much variety either. There is only one gamemode at the moment and that is Capture the Point. You win by either capping the enemy base or by killing everyone on the other team.
That basically sums up this review. If you want to try out the game and see if you like it, definitely go for it, it is a free to play after all. But if you are short on time, want to try out other games, or rage easily, this is why I don't reccommend the game.
I don't reccommend this game to anyone who is short on time, wants to try out other games, or rages easily because the matchmaking is unbalanced, there is an OP weapon that tons of people use, and the gameplay gets very repetitive and boring.
((EDIT 9/5/14)) This game is still as horrible as when I wrote the review. I played 14 games and recorded how I died. I lost 12 games and won 2. 5 times I was destroyed by someone who greatly outgeared me, 2 times I was destroyed by a balloon railgun, 3 times I was destroyed by a plasma flyer, 2 times I was destroyed fair and square. The devs have not nerfed the weapons yet, which makes me very sad. I am also very sad that Steam is featuring/promoting this game when it is obviously bad and unbalanced.