Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more
Welcome to Habitat Early Access v0.4! There’s a lot in this update, so read up Commanders!
NOTE: Many aspects of the game have changed. Be sure to take the Basic AND Advanced tutorials to re-familiarize yourself with the new concepts in Habitat. There may even be an achievement or two in it for you!
New XP Leveling and Progression System
Earn, upgrade, and face increasingly challenging foes with the new progression system.
- Completing missions earns XP
- Leveling up grants additional health and resource bonuses to your HQ
- Higher levels face tougher missions
A host of new enemy ships and nano machines are waiting for you.
- Enemy Booster-Enabled Ships: Drills, saws, cannons and more. Powered by booster rockets, they will hunt you down. Destroy them or tear their pieces off to survive.
- New Nanomachines: Vampires that take your resources, Breakers that target your connectors, and Bruisers that slam into your station.
- Moving Stations: Enemy stations are still just as lethal, but now they’re mobile. Beware these floating death platforms.
Higher Health and Physics Damage Changes
Fight longer, stronger, dirtier, with increased health on all items and a change to the damage model.
- Health of all items (except engineers) has been increased by 2x.
- Collision damage now does only 10% of the damage it used to, rather, the physics mass damage acts on the connectors, making explosions less likely but break-offs more likely.
- Weapons (of all kinds) still do roughly the same damage as before, and will lead to explosions much more readily than kinetic attacks.
- If you’re having trouble taking apart enemy stations, use weapons, higher-mass kinetics, or deploy engineers to break apart the connectors.
The engineers can do a lot, but they can’t do it all. These rocks are just too darn big.
- The map is scattered with asteroid chunks that are too massive for engineers to tow.
- They can be killed with sustained weapons fire, or can be pushed by VERY massive objects under high thrust, or towed with the tether launcher.
- Combat and maneuvering can be difficult around these big objects, but it’s just as dangerous for enemies! Try using asteroids as part of your combat strategy.
Per-Habitat Hotkeys and Command Bridges
Each habitat is now an empire of its own, but at a cost.
- NOTE! You must now use CTRL-# to assign hotkeys. The R key is no longer active.
- Hotkeys now activated per habitat on focus. For instance, if #1 activates your rockets on Habitat A, you can make #1 activate rockets on Habitat B, and they will only fire when B is selected.
- Command Bridge now required to take control of secondary habitats. Order new Command Bridges as needed through the Earth Delivery System (see below).
- You can still build habitats out of standard pieces, but you cannot activate items or assign/use hotkeys until you attach a Command Bridge.
- CTRL-# now adds additional hotkeys to a group, rather than CTRL-SHIFT-#. Hit the same CTRL-# on an assigned item to remove a previously placed hotkey.
Engineers now help each other and take care of necessary tasks without the need to micromanage.
- Idle engineers will help other engineers tow back junk at a faster speed.
- Idle engineers will seek out and repair damaged pieces of your habitats.
- Warning: Engineers will not auto-help each other attack enemy stations. You must assign each engineer to attack - we aren’t going to send them into the jaws of death for you.
Earth Delivery System
Order up Command Bridges, Rockets, and Weapons from Earth for an Omni cost.
- Three new buttons along the bottom-left for ordering each type of object.
- Ordering allowed only in a limited radius around your HQ. Be aware!
- Each item has an omni cost, with weapons costing the most, then command bridges, then rockets.
Camera Follow Mode
Keep a constant eye on your Habitats while in-flight.
- Hit TAB or click the habitat selector in the top-right to follow the selected habitat, making for a much easier time during long flights.
- Camera will follow the habitat in flight but rotation and zoom remains free.
- Hitting W A S or D to move the camera will “break” the follow and allow you to move the camera freely again.
HAL Tactical Mode with Enemies
The HAL system has been renamed and upgraded to focus on combat.
- Enter the HAL as same as you normally would (ENTER key or click the computer icon in the bottom left)
- “Tactical” mode now shows a simplified view but includes enemies in red.
- Items with settable properties highlighted in blue, click them to set properties such as thrust amount or firing rate.
New Tutorial: Advanced Lessons
A second tutorial is available with advanced lessons about reconfiguring habitats and using engineer swarms.
- Access this tutorial through the “Tutorial” menu item, and choose “Advanced”.
- Learn about breaking and rebuilding connectors, building secondary habitats and calling in deliveries, moving items faster with swarms, and attacking enemy stations.
Screenshot Mode (Experimental Version!)
A beautiful way to capture your best habitats - while blowing up or otherwise.
- Stop time, fly around, set up the perfect shot with a fully-controllable camera.
- Access by pausing the game with ESCAPE, then select Options->Screenshot Mode.
- The UI will be removed, time will be frozen, but you can move your camera to set up the shot you want.
- Controls work differently than normal: Use left-click and drag to rotate your eye in 3D space, right-click and drag to tilt. W and S go forward and backward from the eye point, A and D strafe left and right. Hold SHIFT to slow down your movement for fine-tuning.
- Take a screenshot with Steam by pressing F12 (by default). Be sure to upload your favorites!
- Quit out of Screenshot Mode by pressing ESCAPE again. You may have to press it twice.
Smaller Features and Bugfixes
Brand new info cards when hovering over items. See all the stats on health, mass, resources and more in an easy-to-skim format.
* Connectors now have a color alert when their health is low. Yellow is a connector in danger, red is about to break!
* Engineer creation timer now in the top UI section, no longer on the HQ
* Save games now save hotkey assignments
* Many new sounds, from Ion drives to mission completions, teleports and more.
* Vulcan cannon no longer a self-destroying nightmare. Try it out!
* Offscreen helper arrows to help you find distant mission objectives
New Space Junk
* WWII Submarine - tons of connectors and torpedo launchers make for a powerful platform.
* Sputnik - a piece of history, captured in orbit. Still beeping, after all this time.
* Space Capsule - a relic from the old days. Burnt-up but still usable.
Watch the Roadmap!
Remember, we are tracking features and taking feedback on our Habitat Roadmap powered by Trello. Check it out here:
We hope you enjoy the new features! Keep on spacing!
Our next update coming later this month will introduce you to new enemies, new missions, and a new progression and rank system. Get ready to put your habitats to the test!
New Enemies - Vampires, Saws, and Breakers, oh my!
The world of Habitat is going to get much more dangerous. In addition to more mobile enemy stations that can hunt you down or run away in combat, you’ll also have to face booster-powered mobile drills and saws, minelayers, and exploders.
Nanomachines, too, have gotten more varied, with the ability to sap resources, throw space junk, and break apart your Habitat’s connectors.
Progression System - Keeping it Fair!
Worried about all the new threats? Fear not. You won’t have to face the worst baddies right away - you’ll level up as you complete missions and the difficulty will ramp up along with your level - as will your ability to grow your habitat.
Completing missions will now earn you experience points toward leveling up your habitat, increasing the max size of your station, number of engineers, and base amounts of production.
Special Deliveries - From Earth with Love!
We’re also introducing a preview of the upcoming Earth Delivery System that will allow you to order up space junk from Earth. Rockets and new command modules can be ordered up for an Omni cost. We’ll introduce more junk types in a future update through an ordering interface in the HAL, but right now we’re bringing you the tools to get you in fighting shape quickly!
We’ll have a full list of all the changes when we release the update, you can expect plenty of bug fixes and tweaks along with these new features! We’re looking forward to bringing it to you!
© 2014 4gency, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
You can use this widget-maker to generate a bit of HTML that can be embedded in your website to easily allow customers to purchase this game on Steam.
There is more than one way to buy this game. Please select a specific package to create a widget for:
Enter up to 375 characters to add a description to your widget:
Copy and paste the HTML below into your website to make the above widget appear
Sign in to add your own tags to this product.