Available in late October, a new Shadowgate update showcases a haunting Halloween-themed addition entitled the ‘Dread Pumpkin Quest’ that will have players as well as a litany of improvements ranging from an alternate command system, additional achievements, overhauls to the tutorial system, and new Casual and Ironman game modes.
Also with this new Shadowgate update, players will enjoy improved save and load features, object visibility options, a retro graphics add-on, destroyable objects, and much more that will help adventurers navigate the treacherous dangers of the living fortress Shadowgate.
The full list of upcoming updates for Shadowgate includes:
• Alternate Command System: We will offer players two command systems and turn current system into the Retro system. The new system will be a wheel system where (on easier modes) only commands that can be used will be available (highlighted). Other modes would have all commands on the wheel. Several verbs will be combined together as well. All keybinds and locking will still work in this mode.
• Brand New Halloween Themed Quest: The ‘Dread Pumpkin Quest’ sends players on a mysterious and festive quest to find and free a great spirit. Special items include an ancient mask, carving knives, candles, wizard hat, cloak, and lots of new rooms and puzzles.
• Tutorials Overhaul: With the inclusion of the command wheel, there need two tutorials. Various things are being added to tutorials that we have seen players struggle with.
• Adjust size of UI Elements: The UI elements could be reduced to offer more visability of the scene. On top of that, we will move the load/save to the options gear.
• Additional Achievements: Gotta catch them all! (Catching all the elementals), Seven Angry Dwarven Miner (Mining all the gems in the catacombs), Signal the Castle (Lighting the fire pyre and examining it in Room22), Book Collector (Reading all the books in the game), Pyromaniac! (burning all things that disappear in the game).
• Casual Game Mode: The casual mode is just that - for casual players. The game is very forgiving and there are very few objects in the game that aren't required for puzzles. It is also much more difficult for players to die or lose the game.
• Ironman Mode: Each mode will have an checkbox available for Ironman mode. In this mode, players will not be able to save the game and must play in one sitting.
• Mouse Click Adjustments: Makes the mouse more sensitive to clicking on objects.
• Changes to Useable Object View: Adding a key bind that will glow all objects in the room.
• Quick Load Option: Added a key bind for quick loading a game.
• Changes to Save/Load: Add Save and Load separately to the options gear on right. This keeps players from accidentally saving over a load, etc.
• Adjustments to “USE” command: The USE command will work better on things like levers and such if you simply hit USE and then the object.
• Destroyable Objects: Key objects will not be destroyed in easier difficulty settings.
• Changes To Room Names: Room names being altered to make them more consistent and less ambiguous.
• Hints Being Tweaked: Hints are being tweaked on all levels to be even more helpful.
• Polish Of All Difficulty Levels: Add polish and more interactions to actions to reduce generic comments.
• Revising Keybind Location: With the inclusion of new settings features, the keybinds get their own screen.
• Retro Graphics Option: Retro graphics will be put into the game as a pixelated filter. This will be more of a fun lark that is easily turned on and off in the settings or via a keybind.
• Adjustments To Enemy-based Puzzles: Some examples include the Wraith will no longer return and goblins will have a lower firing percentage.
• New Difficulty Descriptions: Need to add a difficulty dialogue update for the new modes.
• Fixes To Window Text: Go thru the text and fix as many widows as possible.
• Easy Mode: Make it less deadly- similar to Casual
• Revision to Curse: There will be additional graphic/text info when the curse is affecting you so players know what is going on.
• Third Slider for Cutscenes: Add a third slider for handling audio in cut scenes.
Take heed, young adventurer, the living Castle Shadowgate is now re-opened!
“This is the ultimate version of Shadowgate that we’ve been envisioning for nearly 30 years! The game features tons of new puzzles to solve, a hugely expanded Castle Shadowgate, and gorgeous hand-painted graphics. There are plenty of nods to the original version, like the NES-inspired orchestral tracks and pixelated transitions, so fans of the MacVenture and NES versions will instantly recognize this as the ultimate successor to the classic. This is a huge moment for the team!” - Karl Roelofs, Design Director with Zojoi.
Come talk to us on the forums, tell your friends and above all enjoy your journey through Castle Shadowgate! We hope this is just one of many games that will be brought back to life!
“If you want something a little different, a bit classic, and potentially ridiculously entertaining, then perhaps you should start getting hyped for Shadowgate.”
“This isn’t a simple remake, but a full-on re-imagining of the original adventure.”
“It looks to preserve everything that made the original game so beloved.”
© 2014 Zojoi LLC. All rights reserved.
There is more than one way to buy this game. Please select a specific package to create a widget for:
Enter up to 375 characters to add a description to your widget:
Copy and paste the HTML below into your website to make the above widget appear
Sign in to add your own tags to this product.