First of all this game IS NOT a Mount & Blade game, and defintely not a M&B reskin. This a completely new, standalone game on the M&B engine. Some systems were replaced with other, completely unfamiliar for the M&B players systems - that seem to be what results in so many negative reviews - completely wrong!... are the players who decide not to buy this game.
Many players are talking about low game stability, or how clunky it works - which is completely untrue, as of the intial release update 1.0, the game is fully stable, and does not make problems for almost any player out there, feel free to check on forums. (ofcoruse ATI is making problems, but the issue is being patched)
Now that we have that cleared out, I shall proceed to my review.
This game is, really really good. It takes some getting used to playing for a M&B fan, but after that's done the game becomes simply amazing. It is true there is still some bugs in there, but I never heard heard of a game that din;t have bugs 24 hours after the final release, in this case the initial release added : Main plot, Better Sieges, comapnions and being able to assign the as ship captains, Taverns
. This obviously added some place for new bugs. But hotfix for them is expected very soon.
Compared to the old games on the same engine, "Caribbean!" is a huge leap forward in almost every direction, though obviously not every cahnge has to be liked.
- Advanced Morale system, and diplomacy that is not actaully just taken from the community mod.
- Morale does now visibly influence the troops in battle
- Completely new economy system of the game
- Town screens that adapt the look of the town acording to the buildings that hae been build
- Sid Meier's like Naval combat - MB like boarding
- Cannons and NPC cannoniers
- Completely new renown / fame system (depending on your actions you can be a Famed merchant, famed Warrior, Feared Pirate or cursed Smuggler )
- Your fame and renown now determines what you can do within the game
- Character Traits
- New commanding system
- All the climbing ladders, jumping from deck to deck
- Better Soldier, and most imporatnly capitan AI
- Story mode
- Completely new inventory system separating your inentory from ships invventory
- Durability of weapons and armours, being able to improve item qualities
- Illnesses for horses, being able to heal ill and wouned horses with special traits
- Things actualy requiring some items to be in the inventory or deck for it to be usable.
- Taxes and smuggling
- Completely new Questing system
- Completely new Unit recruitment system
- New Town governing system
- Greatly adcvanced system of building facilites, and raw material producion, that is higly dependant on both
Was was just a very small list of things that were changed, or added to the game, compared to what really is inside. Not to mention list of 10 big features, that will be released for FREE in future patches, that players are reffering to as "scrapped content" and giving the game negatives because of it. These are the future plans for the development, bu for now bug fixing, and listening to player suggestions is the focus, as you can actually see on the steam forums.
This was just a very short review, because I do not have time to write a better one right now, but I hope I mange to get on top of all the false negative reviews. And just to finish it, I will remind one more time, this is NOT "Mount & Blade : Caribbean!" for the reason of not being another M&B game.