Note: This Early Access game may or may not change significantly over the course of development. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you may want to wait until the game progresses further in development. Learn more
Today we're releasing an update where we change things up a little in land battles. Please watch the video below for instruction on how to use it and and let us know what you think.
Update notes for 0.910:
- Added new options for controlling armies in land battles. NB: Before battle starts, players have 60 seconds to place their troops. To access the battle planning interface, press 'Backspace' button.
- Added new boarding location - frigate.
- Improved AI for enemy armies.
- Added 3D icons for available actions at boarding scenes.
- Changed balance for crew sizes during boarding.
- Gunners are now divided by their nationality. They also have a personal weapon and ability to fight in close range.
- Added assault cavalry units.
- Changed balance for player's starting army.
- Added separation of all single-type troops by squads in land battles.
- Removed items purchase from village elders that caused an error earlier.
- Fixed a bug with sudden ships sinking after battle start.
- Fixed a bug with incorrect additions to ship crews.
- Fixed balance and bugs in 'Old Jorge' quest.
- Fixed a bug that prevented ships repair in the sea.
- Fixed a bug with smoke caused by shooting with some weapons.
- Fixed a bug with long-barreled guns which AI tried to use as shields earlier.
- Fixed a graphical artifact in the launcher.
- Fixed a bug with moving sailors from other ships to flagship.
- Fixed a bug with ships display after its purchase in the harbor.
- Fixed a bug that prevented hiring troops in captured towns.
- Fixed polygon errors in officer armor sets.
- Fixed a bug with ships HP after being upgraded.
- Fixed a bug with ships hull HP.
- Fixed bugs in global map's physics.
Since the last status update we've focused on these three elements: adding new boarding locations with frigate, developing strategic control for land battles and content's optimization.
Frigates are pretty big ships, ancestors of cruisers. For boarding fights with frigates we added a multideck element, though in a simpler form, to really highlight the size of a new ship. We intentionally removed its more realistically looking version and an access to the captain's cabin, so that it wouldn't hurt fights dynamic.
By the way, we noticed that when you go for boarding from larger ships, there can sometimes be jamming near the jump ropes. We did some changes in AI, so this situation should get better.
2. Strategic control in land battles.
This is a pretty ambitious task we are still working on. However, we'll add the first working version in the upcoming update.
The general idea is to make the player a commander and let him control his army. It begs comparison with Total War series, but it's important to keep in mind one distinct difference: in TW players hire full troops, when in M&B series players work with individual units. This puts some restrictions on functioning of AI, army formations and even pathfinding. We'll see what we'll end up with, but for now land battles seem to have become a bit more fun.
3. Content optimization.
Though it's more of a content cleanup. During the development the game got an incredible amount of unused scripts, textures, models, locations and so on. Much of this content was left from 'With Fire & Sword', that we had to give up for gamedesign reasons. Some things we were just too afraid to touch, as Mount & Blade engine could always need them to work properly.
It's a very dull job that can't be delayed any longer. City screen loading times and some cases of game crashes clearly show the engine reached its limit. So for the upcoming update we won't be really focusing on new content, but will instead remove the old one.
That's it for now. We hope the update arrives pretty soon, it's very interesting to hear your opinion on new land battles.
You can use this widget-maker to generate a bit of HTML that can be embedded in your website to easily allow customers to purchase this game on Steam.
Enter up to 375 characters to add a description to your widget:
Copy and paste the HTML below into your website to make the above widget appear
Sign in to add your own tags to this product.