After playing 688i Hunter/Killer, I was looking forward to the sequel.
1) More features than 688i.
2) More controlable subs (Seawolf, 688i, and Akula).
3) Each sub has it's own campaign line that shares the events of the other 2 campaigns.
4) Much better tutorial, though I still don't get the manual TMA system with the dots and the ruler.
5) The Navigation Screen (Map Screen) is much better, as I can classify each target.
6) Classifying a target with sonar is much easier as well, now having a filter.
Most annoying glitches:
1) Lets start with the big one, this didn't want to run on windows7. Minimizing it basically crashed it, most of the time it wouldn't start. I ended up having to run it in windowed mode via -windowed steam parameter and set my screen resolution to 1280x720 16bit 60hz to even view it halfway decently.
2) Frequently hit the bottom when trying to "Hug the Bottom". I had to turn auto sonar off as it would constantly change the bearing point that I was trying to classify to other bearing points as it "automatically searched".
1) Campaign is almost unplayable from bugs.
In campaign mode, I find I have to do the missions 2-3 times each before it properly checks things off. For example mission 1 for russia, I launch the seal team within 2 miles of checkpoint, didn't register. The third time I tried it, while sitting on top of the checkpoint, it worked. The next couple missions same thing, very frustrating.
2) The new 3d overlay is visually nice but when I click on one it blasts the noise the ship would make, way too loud, and I can't control it specifically. I ended up turning that feature off because of this.
I would say overall this is an "ok" sub game with more features than 688i, but it fails hard due to bugs as many games did back in the 90's. I would much recommend 688i over this one if you've never played either, but it's hard to go back without the new features of this one.