The Fall is an extraordinary game which meshes old school and contemporary side-scrollers with a number of other genres, giving players an unforgettable experience. The developer of the Fall wanted to create a game which draws influence from a handful of games and within the first few moments of the game, these are easily identifiable. The games that mainly influenced The Fall include Super Metroid, LIMBO, and Monkey Island. Now this may seem like a ragtag combo to pt together to make one video game. If you're sketchy at best, throw that feeling out the window. The Fall makes such incredible use of it's play space, story, and mechanics.
The Fall is first and foremost an incredible adventure story. ARID, an AI Combat Suit, has crash landed into an unkown region and her human counterpart is quite badly hurt. ARID makes use of her intelligence and networking capibilities in order to help revive the human inside of the suit. Along the way ARID is stalked by the ominous and omnipresent AI character know only as The Caretaker, who runs the facility that ARID is trapped in. ARID must solve bizarre puzzles/problems (not technically puzzles, but I will refer to them as Puzzles for this review)
, shoot down annoying robots, and avoid treacherous obsticles in order to help the human inside. The story presents the player with a multitude of questions. What is it to be human? What difference, if any, is there between us and our AI creations? And then following these questions; Simply put...What is it to be? The story is provocotive and also at some points can have a touch of dark humor to it. This really makes for an incredible and slightly eerie setting for The Fall.
I must praise this game for its use of an incredibly simplistic, yet highly
effective controls. There is only a slight learning curve because the controls are a bit out of the ordinary. However, I actually love the way that the developer made them work. They're original, yet you get used to them practically immedietly. It recalls the days when computers where mostly operated with commands and keystrokes instead of the Mouse and click/drag styles.
For example, the use of the Enter button is binded to the Space button. The mouse is simply used for aiming/shooting and occasionally selecting. It is definately not as difficult or strange as it sounds, in fact, I love the controls for this game. So much so, that I made a little section for it here just to praise them for being so simple and fun to use.
As I previously stated, the dev. wanted to combine the aesthetics and other elements from several games. Among these were Super Metroid, LIMBO, and Monkey Island. Now, The Fall is firstly an adeventure/side-scroller. If you want to dig deeper, there are small elements of RPGs, Problem Solvers (not technically a Puzzle game), Platformers, and Shooters. The shooting action is not all the incredible, yet tends to tie into the game at some points. The fighting is not all that great because, to me, The Fall focuses more on Puzzle-Platforming. Even if Pros:
- A very mysterious and tantilizing storyline (and the story is an incredible one)
- Dark and bizarre humor
- Simplistic alternative-style controls (Different, yet fun)
- Fantastic voice acting
- Great "puzzles" (Problem Solving scenarios)Cons:
- Not much replay value. It is a very linear game, however this is what old school games were like, so this is not necessarily a bad thing.
- The shooting action and fighting is not very great. However, the use of the laser pistol comes in quite consistantly throughout the game.Verdict:
- I absolutely love this game. It's driving, it's a combination of some of my favorite games and gming styles, and also manages to keep you guessing at what will happen next. The developer and writer(s) did an incredible job and I highly recommend this game for almost anyone. If you love old school games, platformers, side-scrollers, or just plain old adventure you will want to pick up this game!!
.If you liked this review or want to see more recommended games, be sure to follow our curator group: Follow Original Curator GroupCheck out the Original Network Groups. Win free games, make new friends on Steam, & more! Original Curators Group, Original Traders Group, & Original Giveaways Group