We’re close to finishing up work on Alpha 5! The testers already have their hands on the first Release Candidate. Here’s a sneak peak on what we’ve been working on:
The majority of craftable items are now created through the workbench. Instead of finding recipes for new items all over the place, you will have to upgrade your workbench to craft better items. Workbenches are found in every hideout.
Repair kits have been removed. You will be able to repair your weapons on the workbench.
In addition, weapons can be upgraded / modified with different perks.
The workbench gives players some short-term goals to look forward to, which are much needed until we add more detail to the storyline.
A lot of work has been put to make exploration better and more rewarding, with new locations and a more varied wilderness.
Roads are more plentiful and informative (they don’t end in the middle of nowhere anymore).
Biome borders have been overhauled, and now contain unique stuff and are much less confusing. Also, new enemies have been added.
Other bigger changes:
- New trading UI, preventing accidental purchases.
- Time freezes after surviving the night, allowing you to breathe a little, repair your hideout and interact with a new NPC.
- New weapons.
- The saw has it’s own UI now.
- There are only two types of mushrooms now: regular and night mushrooms. The essence you gain from them depends on the quality of the oven you use.
- Loot randomization has been put through a balance pass (the system needs to be pretty much redone in the future though).
Apart from the major changes, we’ve spent a lot of time on refining smaller elements and squashing bugs, but those will be outlined in the update notes.
How to keep your saves
We've added a quick and easy way to keep playing on older versions, so your saves do not get wiped when a new Alpha is released. Read all about it here!
In other news, we’re very happy to be part of Independent By Design
, a upcoming book about the stories of awesome indie game developers like Lucas Pope, Frictional Games, inXile Entertainment, Dennaton, Vlambeer… And, well, us! :D
The book is in the final days of it’s Kickstarter
, so it’s your last chance to get it early!