I grabbed a dodgeball mid-air, dunked it on the nearest enemy's head, and the announcer called out "THAT'S A SPICY MEATBALL!" That was when I realized RRDDD is my new favorite multiplayer game.
- Fast-paced, physics-based, arena "shooter" gameplay with surprising depth.
- Great variety of game modes. Deathmatch, Elimination, and Capture the Cube are all solid stand-by modes. For me, though, the real gem is Hoops, which is basically basketball mixed with dodgeball. Really fun stuff.
- Ridiculously fast load times. Joining a server takes a few seconds (!) on average.
- Simple, but impressive, graphics. Neon lights flash and strobe along with the music.
- Excellent music (and if it's not to your taste, you have the ability to import and play your own music in-game...and yes, the lights will strobe in time with your custom music too!)
- Friendly, welcoming community.
- Developer is active, involved on forums, and truly listens to feedback. A real mensch.
- Robot mustaches.
- Some latency issues to be resolved. Playing on a dedicated server should fix the issue, but dedicated servers are not publicly searchable at this time. Once they are, RRDDD could become a truly competitive game. But for now, the occasional rubber-banding/collision detection failures will remain a minor annoyance. I really don't want to overstate the issue, though. Most of the time lag/latency gives me little to no trouble.
- I can't think of anything else to complain about.
RRDDD is an astonishingly well-polished game given that it is the product of one developer. Erik has really hit on something genius here: gameplay that is immediately, viscerally, undeniably fun. Rarely do I play a game of RRDDD without someone commenting something along the lines of "this game is so much fun." It seems like an obvious thing -- most games are supposed to be "fun" -- but how often do people really feel the need to state it? Well, RRDDD is so much fun, that you will involuntarily cry out "THIS GAME IS SO MUCH FUN" every time you play it. There is nothing you can do to prevent it.
In summary, the only valid reason to not want to play this game is that you hate fun. You don't...hate fun...do you?