All of my Steam friends probably know that I love rhythm games. And games with pretty colors. This game has (or claims to have) both.
Before I start, please note this is the Early Access version. Things can change in the future, I'll try to change my review later.
So, why am I not recommending Melody's Escape? Because this game actually doesn't have both things I love. Reasons:
1) Rhythm detection just doesn't work for most songs. Most songs were discarded when I tried it (which means almost all random beats), just a few of them had confidence over 40%. And probably only 1 over 70%.
2) Even if confidence is higher, you are pressing buttons outside of beats in most cases. Or you expect to press the same keys when music repeats, but no - they are mostly different and you easily miss a button because of this.
3) When you miss a button which is related to an obstacle, you die and respawn in a few seconds. This is bad. Especially when beat detection isn't the best, because this means you are dying too often.
It really isn't fun to watch the screen sometimes for 10 seconds (mostly less, but yes, this can happen too if there's a really long slide or jump) without being able to do anything. I want to play, not wait until I respawn.
4) Putting beats right after you jump and land is awful. You have pretty much a few milliseconds to react. No. This is bad.
5) Difficulty. Relaxing is too easy and boring (no, pressing the same button for a few minutes isn't relaxing, sorry), normal is sometimes too hard (but that's mostly because of weird beats).
6) The game looks pretty on screenshots, but it gets boring really fast. At least change the background more often. Just look at Audiosurf - there's always something cool to see. Do it like that.
7) Blur. This is a big no in a rhythm game. I need to see clearly what is coming.
I really wanted to like Melody's Escape. I will definitely give it a try in the future, but it's a thumb down from me for now.