The rest of the review is still below. Some problems are fixed or being fixed right now. They are fínally getting their s#!t together and starting to make this game better. (On some points...)
However it feels a bit like duct tape fixes to me. It's just an instable game that even on plenty stable systems causes a lot of problems.
Also all development rests on the shoulder of 1 guy who sold the game to OOVEE and is most likely already paid for his work. So there is no incentive for him to work 40hrs/week. And that guy is good at what he does, but he can't make the game stable or make a proper User Interface.
Right now G27's don't work and he's been trying to fix this for 3 weeks now.
It just all comes across as something that 1 Russian guy made in his garage... because it is!
It's got potential, but wait a few months. And I hope OOVEE isn't going to stay cheap enough to let 1 guy do all the work while clearly he isn't cut out to take on all parts of development.
One more thing, they just completely overhauled the physics of the game. Which affects the core gameplay. It's not really fun anymore. This is not the game I bought. It was way too late to change the core of the game. They should have done this months before Early Access stopped. Again very unprofessional.
And they changed a lot more as described below. Some changes are absolutely ridiculous. They have not listened to the consistently negative responses to the changes they make and keep going in the same direction.
I'm seriously starting to wonder if OOVEE is trying to keep the sales down for tax reasons or something. They keep making decisions of which a 5 year old would know they are not wise.
Wether it's ignoring customers for months, not helping 95% of customers that only post on the Steam Forums and them saying 'it's their fault' or hiding while unpaid moderators take all the heat.
Typical Early Access game. I know it's just out of Early Access, but if it were up to any respectable company it would just now get into Beta.
Before I tell you what's all wrong with it I'll tell you how (and if) it redeems itself. If you ask me... No, for most people the problems are way to big if it even runs, but as an offroad enthusiast this is the only interesting game out there that doesn't feel like a racing game with 30% less grip. The trucks (well 3 out of 7), suspensions and mud physics are all pretty amazing! You can actually dig yourself in if you give it too much power for instance.
However... These are the problems you'll have to learn to live with if you want this game:
- The camera! It's impossible to get it to go where you want it to go, so exploring the wilderniss or getting out of a dense forest is nearly impossible while with a good camera it would be very easy.
- If you use a gamepad other then a 360 controller you can't use the stickshifter. This was not pointed out before purchase. You also can't adjust the camera properly. It's just as bad as with the mouse but 5 times slower.
- If you use a controller of any kind you still need the keyboard regularly which is awkard. It's understandable that some things need a mouse, but the keys on the keyboard are absolutely unnecessary if they just made the option to bind them as you wish.
- The game was absolutely broken for 80% of customers for over a week, but it works now for 98% of people.
- 98% of people don't register to the OOVEE forums. Those people report massive amounts of bugs which will never be adressed, because 'That's their problem.'
- Lag in online games is usually enormous. But the Client determins how your truck drives, so 90% of the time it's not a huge problem.
- The winch, that you'll need a lot, is super glitchy. It can randomly flip a vehicle that you're towing. Usually works well enough though.*
- The winch cable is super short.
- They just removed some winch points
- No high winch points, so you can't keep it stable on a banked road
- Winch power is sometimes humongous, sometimes you don't even know you're winching
- You can only attach to a max amount of trees. This can mean that the 1 tree you need is unavailable.
In my own experience this max amount randomly varies from 5 to 15.
- The DRM is very agressive and when you lose the connection with the notoriously instable server your game is closed. You will save SP progress but MP progress will be gone. I have not been able to play for longer then 20 minutes and it takes hours to complete a map.**
- You can barely drive over small branches. Yes. You can haul lumber, but some vehicles can't get over branches as they have no friction. Wow.***
- You can't see how to wade through water, because you can't see the bottom. So it's just driving in the river a thousand times and crossing your fingers that you don't need to do 3 hours of progress all over again. It´s realistic, but there should be a way to check like you could in real life with a stick.
- Unrealistic game-balance measures. For instance if you drive in a straight line on a hard road (also happens on soft roads sometimes) you get damage if you leave Diff-lock enabled. And you stall if you don't switch to second gear fast enough while in real life it could drive away in highest gear while carrying a load. I'm afraid they'll add more of these things as the current publishers don't care about realism.
And then there's the Publisher OOVEE. There's a lot of speculation about wether they are respectable or not, all I know for sure is that they don't seem to care about all the aformentioned problems. They only read what's posted on their own forum where maybe 1-2% of customers go and ignore all problems on the Steam forums. They also don't post changelogs there and every update breaks the game for a big portion of the people. They don't tell them how to do a clean install and how to fix the game, so many people just stop playing. This way they choose not to know what problems this game has. Very lazy to say the least. I once complained about the camera control with the gamepad and they sent me a tutorial on how to fix it myself in by programming in Python. They sell a game that's nearly broken and they send us duct tape.
There's a chance that they'll (I mean their single Russian developer) fix some problems soon, but since they don't know about many problems, I don't expect most problems to ever be fixed. They did say that they were looking into the problem with the branches.Publishers just told me days ago that they think the game is done. ish. But it will get some minor improvements and tweaks.
* This has now been fixed. Pretty much.
** DRM isn't causing problems for me anymore, but there are some players who still can't play online.
*** This has gotten worse as they completely overhauled the physics. Mud is now softer and Branches don't sink in the mud. So you got a branch you absolutely can't pass except by pushing it out the way if the end of the stick doesn't get caught. If it does it's tough luck.