Mosaico is an application that lets you quickly and easily organise your windows desktop with multiple profiles and improved functionality for anchoring windows. Initially I gave it a bad review because of a number of technical failures. On the developers reccomendation I am giving Mosaico another go. I've only had a quick play and so far I'm not going to change my reccomendation but it is better than when I first reviewed it. I will keep it running for a few days to see if I can be pursauded to change my mind. Anyway first impressions of the update:
- The ability to anchor mosaico out of sight has been much improved and it is now non-intrusive.
- The abilty to anchor anywhere on a multiscreen setup is great.
- Shortcuts have been added to switch between profiles. This works very nicley and it was one of the main reasons I gave it the thumbs down but the shortcut also opens mosaico. It would be much better if it just changed the profile without intruding.
- Occasionally when you switch profiles Mosaico won't close until you manually minimise.
- I experienced some slowdown of the mouse when switching profiles which lasted for about 15 seconds. I'm running good hardware.
- I would like it to be anchored on the right but when I do this it still opens up to the right off screen.
Overall I like this product and I want it to work well. I also like the developer who obviously read my original review and made changes. This is good because it means he's still working on it. I will keep testing it for him as the concept is brilliant and when I feel it's ready for reccomendation I will give the thumbs up. Really there isn't a lot to do for this to be a great peice of software but as it is now expect some teething issues. It just needs to get out the way and stay out the way and it will get a reccomendation from me.
Posted: November 30, 2013