If you dont feel like reading alot heres the short version:
9/10 great game with balanced cash shop.
Now here is the full review.
First and most important, the game itself:
- The field --- its just really well done. Maybe the best i've seen.
- The resources that you need to summon units/use spells --- just excellent! Simple things like that shouldn't be taken for granted. Alot of TCGs have a problem thinking of ways to play your cards. Like for expample a game called Hex (still in beta) that shows alot of promise but you keep getting stuck cuz you either cant summon anything or you cant get anything to summon. Believe it or not i've been sitting there afk for 20 turns without being able to do anything while my opponent was crushing me.
- Factions --- there are 6 factions to whom most monsters are locked to with the exeption of the neutral creatures who can be used by anyone
- Card types --- You've got the usual monsters and spells with the eddition of Events, Buildings and Fortunes . I would've liked some trap cards but meh.
- Monster Cards --- there are a few types. Meele, Ranged, Flying and a Ranged Meele. On its type depends the possition it can take or attack to on the field.
- Spells --- There are a few types. Single target, Adjacent, Dmg in a line, Dmg in a row, Pernament/Over time and Field target.
Theres also different magic types: Fire, Water, Dark, Light, Nature, Arcane and Air.
- Fortune cards --- Fortunes have various effects that can change or twist the rules of the game.
- Buildings --- Buildings can be deployed on the battleground on any space you can play a Creature on. Buildings have passive effects that give additional benefits to your creatures.
- The art of the cards is pretty damn good
- The music is great but theres not much of it
- The effects are nice, a few more animations were addet a few patches ago
- card sounds are well done and recognizable. I can tell you what spell hit me (since creatures have the same sound when attacking) without even looking.
- the interface is... ok... but i liked the old one better, it was simple and effective. I have no idea why they changed it.
3. Game Balance
Not much to say there. While yes there are a few annoying cards *cough*spellhungry*cough*breeder*cough*, alot has been done and about 99.9% of them are well balanced.
Theres not much into the game itself, but its Might and Magic... we all know the story.
5. Cash shop
Finaly its come to this. This is the part that can ruin a game no matter how good it is.
When it fisrt came out it was great, and it kept being great before the Heart of Nightmare expansion.
Believe it or not i made a smurf account and got from 0 to 1001 elo (people in 1k+ were considered to be the "pros" back in the old ranking system) using nothing but the starter deck and the few cards pack that you get from achievment just to prove wrong anyone who thought the game was pay to win.
BUT the Heart of Nightmare came out and while it providet some serious card balance it ruined everything. You just couldnt play on the same level as others without paying.
Once again alot has been done since then and the cash shop right now is fine. While yes if you pay for cards you will have more than the others but the drop is random so that doesnt guarantee that you'll get what you need.
So to the people that for some reason still say that the game is Pay to win (and ill caps that) NO ITS NOT!
I am curently a Champion 2 in the top 3 000 players without spending ANYTHING on the game.
Final Verdict - a solid 9/10
Theres a few more little thing that annoy me, but the game is a damn masterpiece.
If you like TGCs, its just a must play!
And heres a little bonus, using my referal link (or any referal link for that matter) you'll get 6 starter packs. I'd say thats a pretty good way to start.https://signup.duelofchampions.com/portal/index/DOC_world_02_0010_06_200_12_0614_00♥♥♥♥♥♥♥53DZ1W