Brad "Carnevil" Carney, having developed a source port named Skulltag which revolutionized Doom's multiplayer community, decided to make his very own first person shooter. Now here it is, the cartoonish, oldschool, arcade and fresh FPS called "Wrack". But, did it turn out well?
The first thing you need to know that it's a fast paced, skill based shooter with a bigger emphasis on the gameplay rather than story. If you except this to be a military(like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor or Titanfal), tactical(Counter Strike, Arma, Rainbow Six), story driven(Bioshock, Half Life) or puzzle based(Prey) shooter, then be informed that it's nothing like that. This is definitely closer to shooters like Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D, Rise of the Triad, Serious Sam, Heretic and other oldschool, fast paced and with the only story being told is "Kill all that moves!!!" shooters. However, it's not exactly the same thing as them. Wrack aspires to be an arcade shooter, so it takes inspiration from games like Mega Man and Contra. Console platformers and PC shooters of the 90s are loved by rather different communites, so Wrack attempts to fuse both into one game that will hopefully find fans in any community.
This game has the following characteristics:
-You move very quickly and never get tired.
-There's five weapons, which are quite similar to Doom's and other shooters' ones. They don't have recoil or iron sights, here they are:
*The meele is a huge and strong sword which can kill almost every common enemy in one hit, simirarly to Shadow Warrior '97.
*The pistol is a simple weapon that fires fast and can do the job of killing things well if you run out of ammo for other weapons.
*The shotgun is a quite effective weapon useful for racking up chains(to be explained later). Its ammo is very plentiful, so this one might be your favourite.
*The 4th weapon is a Pulsar: a fast shooting energy ball gun affected by gravity. Very useful for bosses and enemy swarms.
*The last weapon in your arsenal is the Bazooka. It's a slowly firing rocket launcher, but it still is very essential. Useful for combos! If you get a certain item you can even do rocket jumps!
- Skulltag powerups are included. Doomsphere multiplies damage done by 4. Guardsphere does the opposite. Speedsphere makes you superfast.
- If you grab the Blast Guard you get the ability to do rocket jumps! Permament effect!
- Each enemy requies different strategy against it. Use your gray matter effectively!
- Theme changes every two levels.
- Music is composed by (our lord and savior!!!)Bobby Prince, and it's AWESOME!
- There's a Boss fight on every odd numbered level(other than the final one). But let me tell you that they are definitely Mega Man inspired, so if you only played FPSes before, you'll poop your diaper. The bosses are NOT some lame-♥♥♥ circle strafing(Cyberdemon, ROTT95 bosses, Kukulkan), hiding behing walls and shooting(Spider Mastermind, Wolfenstein 3D bosses, Exotech Larvae), endless enemy swarms and no actual attacks(Icon of Sin, Shub ♥♥♥♥urath, Mordekai), quick-time-events(MMS bosses), keep running away and shooting(Blood and Daikatana bosses) or swarming the player with projectiles ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Hell no! This time you MAY NOT quicksave after each attack or any BS like that, no! You will need to learn their attack patterns and then learn how to evade them, just like in Mega Man. ROTT13 tried to do a similar thing, but the failed at it with having too many damn projectiles than you can't even ♥♥♥♥ing evade. Wrack does this job very well and is one of the very few to do so.
-There's a chain\combo system. If you kill enemies in a certain time period, you'll rack up your chain. If you kill multiple enemies at the same time, you get a combo. Racking up chain's fills your finisher bar, which let's you do strong attacks.
- There's 8 levels+ a secret one. That may not be many, but there is a lot of replay value! You can always struggle to get a high score in the online leaderboards, or get those annoying achievemnts, or try to find these freaking secrets.
- Quicksaves disappear when loaded on higher difficulties. It's an arcade shooter, so you are supposed to fight your way to survive and get extra lives to reach the end, not save everytime you clear an area. You are supposed to sweat and breathe densily when you have little lives left and trying to find out the way to kill the boss or get through a tricky part on a level. This is how NES owners often felt like. FPS veterans mat not like it, but screw them! Quicksaving scums! Play Wrack if you are manly! No offense of course =).
- Workshop support for mods and new levels! That can bring endless life to this title!
- The plot and characters are good and supposed to make you feel like watching a Saturday morning cartoon.
- IT'S NOT A ♥♥♥♥ING DOOM CLONE!
- THE GRAPHICS ARE NOT RIPPED OFF BORDERLANDS! lol bl doesn't even have celshading
In other words, Carn did a great job with making this game, so I defenitely recommend it. It's a fun, retrotastic and challenging experience. I urge YOU and everyone of your friends to play it!