Wargame: Red Dragon
Tl:dr (see bottom)
This game is a must have for all who love Commanding units of different capabilities and stengths.
You have a selection of nations to pick from two side, Allies and Pact.
Mind you that this is not a World War I or World War II game, this game is pretty much modern warfare just before the 21st century. So you have automatic weapons, modern tanks like the M1A1ABRAMS United States modern MBT.
As a continuation of Wargame: Airland Battle you now have control over ships except submarines, command ships, support ships, patrol boats, amphibious crafts, maps are now more coastal and or affected by rivers and or lakes.
Which means you're able to have vehicles or tanks that are amphibious. Also there are more advanced Military air units with more advanced weaponry at their disposal than in Wargame: Airland Battle.
This game is a very huge improvement to the Old versions of Wargame, alot of new additional units ranging from Special forces to Artillery (that are now very devastating as in Wargame:European Escalation). You can call in Naval units. There are a few bugs especially the small bridges at the flanks of big maps that can be fixed, but overall and generally speaking this game is has been a satisfying experience to participate in, despite the difference in skill level and awareness that can be taken by playing with diverse players you meet online it's been fun, and now still playing after months of release. You can make your own deck of hundreds of units ranging from almost all major and minor existing states around the globe e.g USA, USSR(old soviet union of russia), China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan.
Ever since the release of the game there has been hundreds of updates and everytime new units and new modifications has been done and bugs fixed, a very active developing team that responds to user's complaint of bugs and unbalanced units, new units have been added from time to time, and all downloadable content are free of charge once you paid for the game.
Also a new addition is the specialization in the game, where you can specialise and make a deck that is dedicated to your playstyle; for example you can choose to be a support general, in which you would be exempt from using the more advanced tanks and elite infantry, but you get to field more numbers and more experienced artillery units with an additional boost on logistics which makes you a very supportive player that assists your team on support which means long range attacks with artillery and the same time you can call in more volumes of logistical supply units to assist your allies in the frontlines.
This is also just one of the specializations you can pick. you have Airborne, Mechanized, Armored, Marines, Navy, Mechanized. With another additional option to pick the periods that limit the availability of units to be used, a 1985 or 1980, which allows you to play with older units with an added feature with the naval units!
So much options and startegical avenues that you can experiment with without contraints that most developers forget in their games.
Now the badside from this good developing team is that they decided to trash this and go to Act of Aggression which is totally going to be a failure because they can't compete with Bilzzard's Starcraft II. They were working on this wonderfull project Wargame with large battlefield which provided tactical creativity. But since EE the team has gone from Exciting to boring by bringing in repetitive and without adding new features with new abilities like rappling or do something more with what they have and improving on their game. The Terrain is still static and no change whatsoever, the earth and the mountains don't have other functions than blocking sight and provide high ground, artillery rounds can still go through mountains, Forests and trees don't burn out after napalm strike, no forest fires >_>. Pilots from planes don't eject from they aircraft. No rescue boats or life boats on cruisers or battleships. Some units with obvious differences have same price for deployment.
However in conclusion this game is a very huge improvement to the Old versions of Wargames but lacks in adding more features and new units who do new things, especially when Seal/UDT special forces equivalent can't even dive and have explosives to plant on enemy locations is not present even after the third game, its pretty repetitive. But aside from the lack of a full step forward the game itself is not horribly mundane, but does quite get to that when maps and the terrain and again units can't do more than what they actually could. (hint try to add more features to what you already have). But to all strategy gamers if you haven't played this game you're missing out alot on a breakthrough on Real Time Strategy games but allas it seems the developers have lost creativity and gone to more mundane and StarCraft II genres with base buildings with spam like Supreme Commander. Its a pity this game has so much potential to be fluid in both gameplay and strategy that I can even name a few things, that they would use this engine to make a traditional medieval or ancient warfare with swords and arrows, and maybe even add cities for siege and what not. Its truely astonishing how its not being done.
The Good points
- Replayability YES
- Online Very much an active Community - again a knock out playing with friends or a dedicated gaming team
- Maintainence Developers keep a very close eye on servers and bugs aswells as adding content at free of charge. (currently I think the only game developers who do that!)
- I don't know why some people own the game buy don't play it, but this game is absolutely a awesome game, you have free reign on how you approach the battlefied; either by an airassault (helicopter launch) or go conventional land or even more interesting naval approach.
- tanks and other vehicles face automatically and persistently towards the direction that they insist on disobeying the player's command such flaw such embarassment!
- limited maps
- old maps from EE and AB are not reused
- unit pricing between pact and nato are more advantageous towards nato especially tanks
- no new features only new units but no added abilities.
- sniper units of two men are priced as a ten man recon special forces just because the sniper unit has exceptional stealth which isn't even that exceptional to be honest.
- some elite units like Delta force and the LiJian have verty poor anti tank skills eventhough they are Special Forces <__<.
- no penalty for leaving game.
- tutorial is inadequate for many new players to understand units capabilites.
- units like UDT/Seals or other proffesional diving units are not able to dive under water.
- no submarines
- limited in choosing armored personnel carrier by air or land.
- no paradroping/parachuting from planes eventhough you have paratroopers in the game.
- no tactical nukes or bombs
- no female officers no chicks.