This is TorNis from Twitch and I made a livestream review of Super Comboman.
Super Comboman - an action 2d brawler platformer with "Sticker" art style and comic humor.
After analyzing the game, here is all my thoughts and comments:
- Input Lag. Major issue for a brawler game where you need to do a lot of fancy combos and moves. Tried both Keyboard and Gamepad(XBox360), same problem. Basically during combat, when you want to move, you will not move and get stun locked, or when you want to shield, you won't, instead you will attack because you pressed attack some time ago. This is really frustrating, and it could potentially stop you from progressing the game (I will talk about it later)
- Music. OST in the game is not impressive and repetitive. Plus, a poor transitions on loops.
- Gameplay mechanics have flaws. Here is a few things to know. You start as character with basic skills, you need to buy new ones in the shop and also you can set 2 perks (which you can buy) for your character which will active with special mechanic: 1 perk - on 30 hits combo, 2nd - 70 hits combo. So basically, to even use those perks, you need to do a massive non stop combos by hitting enemies and items/objects ingame, but, the level design in most cases is made so that you have no window of time to continue doing hit combo(no enemies, objects to hit), and it will dissapear. Or you can simply get stun locked. And that's not the core problem. The problem is that shop itself loses it's purpose after 1 zone of the game. You can buy all combos and 2 perks you need. That's it.
- Level design is creative but there are serious difficulty spikes from time to time. Checkpoints sometimes doesn't make sense. At one place there are plenty of them and these parts are easy and then there is a huge portion of level without them and plus, several places where you need to use your reaction or you will be one-shotted. Long story short, it feels like checkpoints are random. One boss level is huge in content. Another boss level is really short. I couldn't figure out logic behind that. A fair warning: some parts of the game will probably make you wonder: "Can I even beat this"?
- Combos and fighting. Stun locks, Input Lag, Combos that require enemies nearby or they not work and game doesn't tell that, enemies with unfair attacks, and that's just the start. Let's just say that most of combos that you can purchase are useless and not to mention, it's hard to perform them because game for some reason have different button for special attacks combos, while game also have "Basic" and "Heavy" attack buttons. In other words, all purchased combos are not connected to buttons you use to attack normally.
- Art style. Probably one and only thing I can say it's quite quality in this game. It's not your standart pixel art indie game or "2.5D" graphics and this is where the game can attract you.
- SFX (sound effects) are quite pleasing and fitting to the atmosphere.
- Voice acting of your character and enemies will quickly become either boring and repetitive or you will make fun of those repetitive phrases they are doing (HERE WE GO, HERE WE GO....... BAM, BAM, BAM)
- The game got no volume control. At all.
- The game does not feature resolution change options. No windowed mode. Only fullscreen. If you press Alt+Enter, they game is gonna be full HD windowed which is not a solution for windowed users. Maybe there is a way to fix resolutions in config file if it exists, but in-game options are not existing.
Unless you want to frustrate yourself with this game, I recommend to skip it.