FORCED is an insanely fun co-op puzzle brawler. You play as a slave being trained up to be a gladiator and you are exposed to 25 challenging levels (5 bosses, 20 challenge rooms). After 30 hours of playing the game (it can definitely be completed MUCH faster), here's what I think..
- The game is infinitely more fun with co-op partners. The difficulty fluctuates a lot depending on whether you do a challenge solo or with a group. For example, some challenge rooms are easier to do with more people. On the other hand, some boss rooms require a lot more concentration with a full group due to the higher amount of adds. Either way it is a game that does a great job of promoting teamwork seeing as the 4 available weapon-types have a specific role to fulfill.
- The skill variety is ample enough. There are 3 passive and active slots and there are enough skills for all types of situations.
- There is a large variety of different challenges rooms with various objectives. There are 4 acts (or areas) and all of the puzzles are different. No 2 puzzles repeat so you can be sure that the game stays 'fresh' until the end.
- You get to face challenging bosses. Each boss has a speed challenge and a 'self-imposed' handicap challenge. With these 2 challenges, you can't just face-smash your way to full-on victory. Fully completing a boss level requires a certain level of precision and understanding of the room's mechanisms.
- The spirit guide's dialogue is quite well-done. It was entertaining enough to get me through the entire game without getting complacent.
- The Camera feels very limited.
- There is currently a glitch that sinks the 3rd player in any group under the floor when entering or re-entering the preparation room. They are currently looking into it.
- High latency can cause issues in some puzzles. These issues can block progression.
All in all I loved FORCED. I haven't had that much fun in co-op since playing Magicka.
I would like to see more puzzles in the future. The bosses were alright but the puzzles felt a lot more satisfying/rewarding when completed.
9/10 and looking forward to sequels and other releases from this developer!
Posted: January 28th, 2014