As a fan of both Tower Defense games and Rogue-likes I have to say this game is fantastic! It's not that much of a tower defense game (even though it has strong influences from the genre, like waves after waves of mobs and module/tower building) as it is a resource-management and a survival game.
This game is step-based, meaning you have to open doors in the dungeon, and after each door is opened you gain resources depending on how many active modules you have and an action phase starts where mobs rush to your crystal room. Game is real-time during the action phase, but it can be paused to plan your strategy accordingly.
There is a lot of depth in this game from things like:
- many heroes, all of them with stat progressions, levels, abilities and personalities
- many constructable minor and major modules, that offer effects to your rooms, heroes or resources
- research system, that allows you to unlock module tech by spending science
- item system that lets you tweak heroes in various ways (each hero can hold 3 items in special slots)
- though monsters, most of them with special effects
- interesting progressive dungeon rooms, with good visuals, and many bonuses to be explored
- great minimalistic artstyle
- soothing soundtrack
- great gameplay
- future potential as the devs continue to develop it
- devs are great and they are updating the game frequently
- endless hours of fun
- challenging gameplay
- can be too difficult
- still in early development
I really recommend this game to anyone that wants a challenge and a good old rogue-like, with a modern feel.