February 13th, 2014
I've just finished uploading new test beta 0.984b, which includes several fixes to AI and other issues found in 0.983. I've also made a slight improvement to crafting.
The build is available to anyone who owns the beta at bluebottlegames.com, or on Desura and Steam. Desura (and therefore, Groupees) users can use Desura Connect to gain access here, or even get their Steam keys and try it on Steam.
To access the test build on the official site, simply visit the beta page, and click any of the download links below the usual Windows, Mac, and Linux buttons.
Steam users can access the test build by opting into the beta for it. To do so, open up your Steam client and:
- Right-click on NEO Scavenger in your Steam library
- Choose "Properties"
- Choose the "BETAS" tab in the resulting dialog box.
- In the drop-down, select "public_test."
Choose the "public_test" option on the "BETAS" tab in NEO Scavenger's properties.
Following the above steps will begin downloading version 0.984 immediately. Just click "Play" when it's done!
Updates Included in the Test Beta
The test beta includes the following changes:
- Added code to make NPCs use "buzz off" conversations if they ceasefire when player offers to talk.
- Added a couple more NPC conversations.
- Added code to prevent setting player money stat to NaN.
- Added code to make AI choose appropriate attack mode if target too close for ranged attack.
- Added code to remove ceasefire, surrender, and talk offers from creatures when battle ends.
- Added button to clear crafting yield after successfully crafting.
- Added code to prevent AI from reentering a hex right after retreating.
- Added code to despawn DMC guards after 8 hour shift.
- Added code to degrade DMC bracelet into lower-value "used" version when used.
- Changed Skybike encounter success chances when untagged and using building.
- Changed cargo pants to be larger when stored and full, to prevent recursive storage.
- Changed "fake" and "used" DMC bracelet prices to $500.
- Changed SBS4 artwork size to be more consistent with other firearms.
- Changed hexmap hotkey to TAB.
- Changed offer talk/ceasefire/reveal moves to not be available if target unconscious.
- Fixed a bug that allowed "buzz off" conversations mid-combat.
- Fixed a bug that caused quick recipes to sometimes choose more expensive ingredients first.
- Fixed a bug that caused game to crash if player escaped battle with 2 or more AI leftover.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to attack allies if player escaped battle with them.
- Fixed a but that caused AI to attack sleeping allies if they had no valid passive moves.
- Fixed a bug that caused NPCs to remain "Stranger" even when attacking.
- Fixed a bug that caused remaining creature sprites to get mixed up when NPC leaves battle.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to ignore range effects on morale in battle.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to retreat when it should attack if faction standing isn't set.
- Fixed a bug that caused layered shirts to draw in wrong order when some clothes worn.
- Fixed bug in Concrete Apartments that made RF1:D software invalid.
- Fixed a bug that allowed take/drop to place items on ground in invalid hexes (e.g. city ground, C-store).
- Fixed a bug in the Tattooed scalp old man random encounter (N6.2).
- Fixed a bug that caused charges inside a stack item not to be removed when game removing item from another item. (E.g. charges in stacked battery in water tester in backpack).
- Fixed typo in Zom Zom's.
- Fixed typos in two random encounters.
- Fixed balaclava being locked onto head slot.
- Fixed a bug that caused items in hoodie pockets to appear inside armor vest pockets when both worn simultaneously.
- Fixed cargo shorts image being too large in 800x450 mode. Wrong image.
Most of these updates are fixes to the AI. Some of them caused weird AI behavior in battle. Others were more serious, causing crashes or corrupted games. Furthermore, the way NPCs ignore player offers to talk should be a bit clearer now, as they'll say one-liners when they do this, instead of simply ending combat and disappearing.
There were also quite a few fixes to encounters and items, including the infamous cargo shorts bug. The SBS4 has larger artwork now, and the balaclava should no longer get stuck.
Finally, I've made two changes to crafting. First, any tools used in crafting will now remain at the top when finished. No longer will players need to move crafting outputs back into crafting inputs when using items as tools.
Furthermore, there's now a "Clear" button that replaces the "Confirm" button once crafting completes. Clicking it will move all output items into the ingredients box. This, combined with the above, means it should now be possible to load-up the top box with a pile of water for boiling, and just spam the "Confirm/Clear" buttons in rapid succession.
Hopefully, these fixes and changes make an even more stable build than 0.983 was. And if all looks well, I'll start moving 0.984 into the official build slots!
As always, let me know what you think of the changes, and if any new bugs arise!