It's weird to see many reviews with less than 2 hours recommending this game being featured on the front page, since you need more than 2 hours to beat this game. I've played this game for more than 8 hours to get 100% achievements. I wanted to recommend this game, but I really can't.
This game is based on the novel idea of drawing your own character and your own tools to progress the game. The idea is good, the artwork is decent, there is a plot, and even there are additional puzzles and Easter eggs.
But, there are quite a couple flaws in either the design or implementation of this game, that makes playing this game very frustrating quite oftenly:
- What you draw is irrelevant in most cases -- you actually click to choose a pencil from a couple to indicate what you are trying to draw, and for most of those you can just draw a straight line for axe, key, cloud, and fire. This makes the entire "drawing" concept meaningless. Plus, most of the things can only be used for once or three times, so if you are trying to draw perfectly every time, it may take you a few extra hours to beat game.
- It's actually 3D-in-2D game, but this game deals with collision quite bad -- sometimes it looks like there is no obstacle but you just can't move.
- There is no pathing implemented, if you want to go to point B from point A, even if they are connected by some path, but as long as there is some obstacle lying in the connecting straight line, clicking on point B will just lead you to the obstacle -- you need to bypass it yourself.
- There is no saving inside a level, and if you take damage twice within a short time period, you will die and have to start over again. And it's really easy to die without even knowing why due to the two issues above, and some levels take ~10 mins to complete.
- There is the Paul Bunyan achievement which requires you to chop down 500 trees, but at the time I got all the other achievements , I have only chopped down 40 trees. Seeing that woodcutting isn't an important part to win this game, I think this achievement is quite obnoxious. I basically did nothing but to chop 460 trees for 40 minutes.