OH. MY. GOD.
just a few hours into the game (maybe 2?), and... I'm totally hooked. And, that's a lot knowing I'm not the greatest fan of strategic games....
sure, graphics are... oudtated to say the least. but, who cares? this is not about nice graphics, but about thinking. a lot.
ok. more than a few hours later, and even more on dom4, I can only say a few things:
- this is one of the largest games in terms of quality content I have seen in my whole life.
- it is also one of my favorite games. EVER.
- dom4 is even better. get it instead or you'll want it as soon as it's on sale.
- be warned: the learning curve is not actually steep but VERY long. about 150 hr. later (between this and dom4), and I still have sooo much to learn.
- the AI may not be a challenge for pros, but I still have to think a lot to win even on normal. Haven't tried yet on hard (and won't try in a loong time... I'm not yet ready)
- the manual should be your bedside book from now on (note: and dom4's manual is even better. and longer. yay for EVERY unit stats on it. my life is so much happier now. ) You should consider printing it. or buying it printed. but keep in mind: you have no search function on a printed book.
- tell everyone you love that you'll disappear for a long while before purchasing this. seriously, it's THAT good.
- years will come, and you will keep playing this every now and then. It's not a campaign that you go through once or twice and that's all. I totally see myself playing this for years. (especially dom4. since... oh, well, the few changes are for the better. )
- why on earth are you still reading this instead of already playing it???
PS: seriously. buy dom4 as soon as it's on sale. and on the meantime, buy dom3 now that it's on sale. You won't regret it.