OK my "review" won't be really different from the others but I just have to do it. I can't understand how the hell this game has positive reviews, because there is something that absolutely RUIN the game from the go : AI, pathfinding and the crafting tree.
AI and pathfinding
- imagine that two of your dwarves successfully climbed down ( I mean, fell down) a dirt wall, and now they are unable to climb up again with their spiderman-like powers. So they stay there doing nothing. What do you do ? Hey ! you have two ladders in your inventory, let's put them just beside the dwarves, right ? Do you think those dwarves can put the ladder here ? HELL NO ! Another dwarf needs to come from the other side of the map to put the ladders, while the other two morons just stay here watching.
- now imagine that you put some platform across water so they don't need to swim all the way. Do you think they are gonna put the first platform, walk on it, put the second one, etc ? HELL NO ! A first dwarf will put one platform and go home, while a second dwarf swim to the other side and put a platform, and then others dwarfs will come, swim, try to achieve the bridge, get stuck in the water because somehow they can't jump back up. And once the "bridge" is finally complete after 30min, do you think the dwarves will use it ? HELL NO ! They'll walk on the first platform and then jump through the second into the water, and drown.
- now imagine that you need wool to make ropes, used to craft really important stuff like armors. You send a dwarf to kill a sheep at the end of the map, because there is never a sheep near your camp. Do you think the dwarf will pick up the wool and meat in his empty backpack ? HELL NO ! They send another dwarf from the other end of the map to pick that stuff up, like, 1 hour after.
- now imagine that you put a table somewhere. A dwarf needs to come here and put the table. unfortunately, by the time he arrives, there is a FU KING SNAIL on the table post, so the action is CANCELED ! AND THOSE FU KING SNAILS SPAWN EVERYWHERE BLOCKING PATHS !
- now imagine you're playing another RTS. You do ask your drones/villagers/whatever to gather some stone. Do you need to tell them to gather the stone in front to acces the second row of stones ? Of course not, they're not stupid. DWARVES ARE ! They will gather ressources without taking into account if they are destroying their path to gather more ressources ! It's the same when building, you can't fu king build a wall and a roof 3 blocks tall because they can only reach a height of 2 blocks, so it will take hours to put ladders everywhere. And everytime they put a block, it resets the pathfinding and the placement of other blocks gets canceled ! You have to manually put one block at a time waiting 5 minutes between each that a dwarf comes...
I could go on with the stupid AI but I'm only at the beginning of the game and it's already driving me crazy. I can't even imagine what's it's like with more dwarves, more enemies and more stuff to do, when you have to micromanage every action to be sure they don't get stuck doing sh*t somewhere.
The crafting tree
At first I thought the crating tree was nice, compared to games like Terraria where you need a wiki to actually know what the hell you're supposed to do. Then I realized that you need to waste a lot of ressource to craft 10 stuff you don't need just to access the next technology ( if we can call a bucket a technology ), like in stupid MMOs.
And then I realized that you need coal too cook something and the only coal I found was at the other side of the map, and I'd better kill myself rather than wait 2 hours for a dwarf to go there and gather coal. Oh but look ! A SHOP ! I'm gonna buy some coal. So... it's in my inventory right ? RIGHT ? HELL NO ! The coal is on the ground and a dwarf has to gather it, but they are all busy mining, fighting or doing nothing ( yes because doing nothing in this game is a queued action it seems ). So after 30 minutes I finally got the coal, so I can finally cook some meat. Right ? HELL NO ! After you craft the meat, a dwarf needs to cook it at a cooking campfire. Yes, a specific cooking campfire, because you can't cook meat, like, on a simple fire ?
Then I realized that the crafting section to build a stone wall was really far away and that it would take hours to have it, so I stopped playing. THEY ARE DWARVES ! THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO BUILD WALLS INSIDE THEIR MOTHER'S UTERUS, FOR BALIN'S SAKE !
On top of all of that you have to cope with annoying stuff like leaves growing fast everywhere, or plants, or some kind of crystals that look lke you can pick them up but you can't, the fact that dwarves won't eat some food because they had too much of it, or the fact that it takes hours before having a shelter where you can put beds so they can sleep...
Also, rain making puddles here and there, and water that won't disapear and keeps you from gathering the ressources it floods.
And last, the whole game seemed to scream "if this was on mobile/facebook there would be a paywall here to speed up the game and unlock stuff more quiclky !"
In other words : stay the hell away from this game unless you want to laugh at one of the worst AI I've never seen.