First: I'd verify what most people say about the graphics and shooting mechs - they're nice and they work well enough.
Second. here's how I feel about the overall design of the game:
I'd like my money back at this point. I enjoyed this game for about three hours. I think I was getting lucky. I WAS also very excited about the prospect of completing missions in a survival game. Here are some things that ruined the game after the initial glow wore off.
1. Big missions seem more or less impossible to beat in games with random marauders running around.
2. Courier missions (sounds fun, right?) End with PCs camping the goal zone. So you run for ~ 15 minutes and get shot.
3. Camping PCs have crazy/scary equipment that they bought with real money. F@#$ off. Get the F@#$ out of here. Unnacceptable.
4. Stuff spawns into the world randomly and without logical placement. I realize this is a genre standard - but it is a pathetic genre standard.
5. The world is too small for the style of gameplay. I saw the whole thing.
6. The buildings are SO similar that they may as well be proceduraly generated - which would massively improve this game BTW.
7. Here's an important one that nobody seems to mention - the Nether (monsters) TELEPORT and are UNESCAPABLE. I understand that this may be a clever way to prevent them from glitching but it also randomizes and renders unrealistic combat with them. It is ultimately annoying to fight them as a result. You run backward while they teleport toward you over and over - It's neat that they're dangerous but it is sad that they TELEPORT.
8. The level system is . . . uninteresting and seems not worth paying attention to. I think it'd be much better to just start everyone out fully leveled because 1. my fat cousin can run farther than my "survivor" and 2. My "survivor" eats loads more than my fat cousin. WTF. If there MUST be leveling, I'd like it to be under-the-hood pracice based leveling.
9. Prey or Pray is a dumb slogan - was before I bought - just throwin that in here. Please just stop saying it.
10. The masks that the serial-killer veteran players wear are. . .juvenile. I wound up hating all of them. In the time I played I remained a noob and the game felt VERY much about vets mercing noobs. To me that seems like a poor design. Noobs dont want to be bullied and vets dont (in most games) enjoy bullying noobs. These guys do it anyway - which makes me hate them. The juvenile masks make me hate them more. I don't want to spend my free time with these people.
I know the game is in Alpha and that's why I've left out coments on glitches, completion, lame lighting effects and so on. These gripes are deep design issues and. . . well they aint likely to go away. Sorry.
Here's some things that could improve it for me:
1. Non PVP server for doing some of those sweet lookin missions. Also a no paid-content option would be nice. I feel like paid add-ons in a PVP game is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
2. Bigger (Way) map, preferabley proceduraly generated - I know it's too late for that.
3. More sensible item spawning, perhaps mildly instanced item spawns - i.e. if I'm hurt it'd be nice to find bandages in an ambulance - ever. I should be able to make logical descisions about where to go for what.
4. No lame outfits. Lame means - anything 13 year olds think looks cool. Just do a test group and delete everything they like.
5. Some way to punish Vets for mercing noobs. If there is some system for that it isn't working.
6. Color. The apacolypse will not dull the color of leaves. Leaves will be leaves. Paint will not dull inside away from UV damage. The post-apocolypse will be in full color spectrum color. Please stop this idiotic mistake. Thanks Bethesda.
7. Make the Nether escapeable. It WOULD be more fun for EVERYONE to be chased by big scary stuff and have to hide.
8. Make it so players can run. Like a real person can run. Most adults could run across this map in one go at a good clip. It's like four city blocks on the long side.
9. Get rid of safezones.
10. Share rewards within vicinity with cooperation thus encouraging teamplay.
Out of 10:
Graphics - 9 <- point off for the lame old post-apocolyptic color pallette blunder.
Sound - 6 <- good but thin and repetive.
Community - 2 <- Vets mercing noobs with "Manhunt" style Jason masks ruins this game for me. How about some goggles or some scarves or something. . . why phychopathic serial killers?
Concept - 7 <- In theory this game could be good. In practice most of the ideas aren't realized at all.
Design -5 <- The monsters are great, the city is pretty good, the People are REALLY lame. (bright green napsacks?) Where are these halloween masks coming from? I actually saw witch hunting hats like the ones from Warhammer 40k. Seriously, they're in there. hahahahaa.
Mechanics - 2 <- Game mechanic integration ruins this game for me. It just isn't fitting all together. Random spawns. There isn't much to do - or you don't get to do it with jerks randomly killing you.
Fun - 6 at first then on down to 1.