Okay so Burnout Paradise is really fun but I feel like it has lots of missed potential. Hear me out.
- The open world concept is a really good idea, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to then focus all the attention in 8 points of the world map. You're basically making every other place look uninteresting.
- You can pick up events all over the map... Or the city should I say, since the areas outside the city almost have none. That makes the areas outside the city uninteresting. After driving through the roads a couple of times I wouldn't have many reasons to return.
- Having everything taking place in the city makes the map feel cramped and hard to navigate through. Burnout is not a game in which I want to go slowly so I don't miss anything.
- Good luck exploring a whole city without turn by turn navigation. Nobody wants to open a world map while driving. No, the road signs are not enough.
- The events in the city make you leave the city almost all of the time. Which means that if you want to play another event you'll probably need to return to the city, and that feels like a loss of time for the player. You should never make the player feel like their time doesn't matter, especially after rewarding them for clearing an event.
- The events start to feel repetitive after a while. Even if there are many types of events, if you are always racing to the same place, it gets kind of boring.
- It doesn't matter how high you score in an event since the only thing the game acknowledges is if you passed or not. A rank system would have made the experience a lot more interesting.
- The menus don't feel natural at all, especially the d-pad menu. This menu demands your attention while driving (or even while an event takes place), and unless you stop the vehicle there's no way to drive and navigate through the menu without crashing. It doesn't make sense to put the "Restart last event" option in a place like that.
- There's no explicit way to exit an event. You have to stop the car. I had to Google this. That is not good design.
- The way to start an event leads to many accidental starts. You can't expect me not to push accelerate + brake in a turning point for any other reason than starting an event.
- The classical music feels like a bad joke that was funny only the very first time. It doesn't fit in the mood of the rest of the game.
- The idea of including different types of cars and adding motorbikes was nice, but poorly executed. It takes way too much time to find a junkyard and then change the vehicle for a certain event, not that it matters anyway because at least for now every vehicle seems to be fit for every kind of event. It makes me wonder why make different types of cars in the first place and not make just one kind. If you are going to make different profiles of playable entities at least give me a reason to use them. Choices should have a meaning in the mechanics, apart from the way the vehicle earns boost.
- The respawn algorithm is just awful. Don't respawn me in front of a wall. Don't respawn me in front of a jump.
- Takedowns don't feel as rewarding as they used to in other games of the series. Where is Impact Time? Why can't you do multiple takedowns at the same time?
- No windowed mode?
Don't get me wrong, as I stated earlier this game is really fun. But it could be a lot better and that bothers me.