This looks promising, but in its current state, is not very fun to play. Most of the issues center around not-very-effective AI:
- In order to keep your base functioning, you need technicians to keep all the systems in repair. However, the technician AI is TERRIBLE, and there's no way to force a technician to repair a specific machine. The only way I've been able to play is to keep my base relatively small. Once a hostile docks with my station and as a result, adds more machines, it's an unrecoverable downhill slide to all machines eventually breaking down, no matter how many technicians I add. I've also seen my technicians attempting to repair broken machinery in areas I'm deconstructing, which is a huge waste of time.
- Your citizens need to eat. They also need to sleep. If they go to the bar to eat or drink, and the bartender isn't on duty, they'll wait until he is. Even if the bartender is, himself, waiting to eat or drink. The bartenders will not serve themselves, nor is there any sort of timer that allows them to give up and move on to do something else. There's also no way to force a bartender to go on duty. When your citizens get stuck waiting on food, it makes it very easy to start a downward spiral (especially for technicians) since they obviously aren't doing their jobs if they're waiting for food.
- Defending against intruders is incredibly unreliable. From what I can tell, you're supposed to assign citizens to security duty, and use a beacon to make them congregate in a specific area, either to explore or defend against intruders. In practice, they seem to take an "I'll get to it when I'll get to it" attitude, even when their comrades are getting gunned down around them.
- Sequencing building instructions is irritating - things seem to happen only in the order you enter them in - once you put in a request, there's no way to prioritize it against other requests, except to erase it and do it again, effectively putting it at the end of the queue. The exception seems to be building walls - those seem to get built before anything else.
- Citizens coming in and out of airlocks will occasionally kill their comrades by an ill-timed depressurization
Given this is an alpha, I'm guessing/hoping these issues will be smoothed out, but as it stands, it is more frustrating to play than enjoyable.
Posted: December 11th, 2013