For a game in very early alpha, SNOW looks very promising. SNOW is a game I can see myself playing very often when it's fully released, however at the moment the game is a bit lacking in content. Although - from what I can tell - the game as it stands right now is more of a proof of concept than anything else. I'll say that it certainly does its job outlining a much bigger vision, however, and I have absolute faith in the developers and confidence that they'll fill the game with more and increasingly interesting content.
Some feedback I have for the game...
*Suggestions - Things I'd like to see in the game and didn't see on the planned features page*
- I'd like to be able to take off my skiis/snowboard and walk around on foot. I think it would add some maneuverability to exploring, and just generally add to the feeling of freedom in the open-world enviroment.
- Lifts. At first I was just thinking that interactible lifts would be nice aesthetically, and that they would do the same thing as respawning (pressing enter twice). But as I though about it more I realized that they really could differ from respawning and add something gameplay wise. I think that using a lift should signify that you're happy with and/or ending a complete run to the base, and using a lift will save your score. Meanwhile, respawning will become a way of completely removing a run, discarding the score, and beginning another.
- Official servers would be really nice. Meaning, some kind of server that hundreds of people could join and play together, which I think would be really fun and push the atmosphere of an actual ski resort.
*Bugs - A couple that I found while playing*
- Some clothing remains the default color even after changing. I can't remember the exact clothing items that were giving me trouble. From what I remember it was mostly pants.
- The menu is sometimes a little buggy during gameplay.
**EDIT** I found another issue. The game refuses to let me turn off the HUD in the options menu. Nothing happens.
**EDIT 2** Pressing esc while dead then closing out of the menu prevents you from doing anything.
*My Priorities - Things I saw on the planned features page that I'd like to see added the fastest. In order of importance (to me)*
- Sound. The lack of sound is really irritating, and just feels plain unatural.
- Snowboards. This should be pretty obvious, everyone's asking for it.
- More mountains, I've already expored a majority of Sialia and looking for more.
Posted: February 16th, 2014