Listen to me, please don't think i'm joking or i'm some kind of fanboy when I say...I Absolutely Love This Game!
Pleae bear with me while I attempt to give me amature review of this game.
First off I should say, this game was made by Klei Entertainment, the makers of some amazing games such as Mark of the Ninja (Literally one of the best stealth games ever) , Don't Starve (Very good and addicting suvival/adventure game) , Shank 1 + 2 (Pretty good 2D brawler) , And Eets + Eets munchiesm (Fun puzzle game).
I've had the game in Alpha way before it came on Steam Early Access (Klei allowed people to buy a super early build of it from their site) and I barely touched it, then I decided to play it again recently, and so far, i've clocked in about 9 hours total, 7.5 of those hours being from me playing the most recent build and i'm enjoying the hell out of it.
But let me get to the main points.
The Story: At the moment there isn't much, you're an agency, and you have 72 hours to complete missions before your final mission, choosing a mission tells you how long it will take to complete, and they're also generated randomly, so you never will know the layout of the map, or play the same old thing, you have to learn each time, also you're building your Agency's reputation each time you complete a map, by looting/collecting data/exploring the map.
- The stealth gameplay: Honestly when i started playing this, like an idiot I skipped the tutorial and got myself demolished, it literally took me hours to even learn how to hack.
But yeah, this game is Stealth based, taking on an enemy head on will get you KILLED, you can stun them for a bit, and even kill them (at the risk of setting of an alarm), or you can avoid combat all together while just hacking, and looting, which brings me to my next point.
- Hacking: It's pretty simple, you press space and go into Igconita mode (Igconita was the original title of the game), and you can see what you can hack, which at the moment are just Cameras, Safes, Power supplies, and a lot of other object which may expose the full map to you, and show where other panels are.
Also hacking takes up "PWR" which is basically power or battery life, but with one of the perks you choose in the beginning they give you two pwr each round.
Alarms: There's an alarm system, with every turn as in after all your characters have moved, the alarm bar will fill up a peg, and the stakes get higher
- First alarm = Cameras are now active, if you're spotted the guards will search the area the camera saw you at, but you can easily hack the cams.
- Second Alarm = It's twice as hard to hack, not too difficult, just instead of using 1 PWR you'll use 2 to hack some things.
- Third Alarm = Another guard will come down to investigate, making it a little tricker to get around.
- Forth alarm and so on = Elite guards with armor who move faster, this patten continues until you either die, or your escape.
This alarm system introduces an excellent risk and reward concept, due to the fact that you can stick around and keep exploring and looking for possible loot or intel, but you'll make it harder for yourself, but you also get a higher score in the end.
....or die trying.
Characters: Deckard is experienced stealth spy, who can cross large areas and move around the map, my favorite really.
Internationale: She's the hacker, she can hack things though walls, which honestly, is pretty usefull.
There's two more characters to unlock, as well as some perks.
Overall it's a 10/10 for me, didn't enjoy it at first, but it REALLY grew on me, looking forward to seeing it grow into something special.
Also online co op would be interesting, i'll update this review as I think of more to say on it.