Verdun attaches great Importance to the History of WW1. Not only you can read interesting Information in the menu about the Weapons in WW1 and the Soldiers that fought in it, the Developers made sure that the Maps are similar to the real combat areas at that time. You can expect very intense Trenchfights, this Game is no Action Shooter like most of the other FPS-Games out there and you will have a damn hard time at first, even if you already have FPS experience. Teamplay is essential to win here and you should learn to play your Squadrole the right way. Every Squadmember has its own Task to lead the team to victory and you need to help out each other to make the best of each role. Basically the 4 roles are NCO, Sniper, Machinegunner and Grenadier. There is a difference, depending on which Nation and Team you play on. For each Nation and Soldier you can pick 1 of 3 unique Arsenals, which have to be unlocked with career points that you earn in the game. Leveling up is another Part of the Game that makes it highly addictive. There are Many Perks for each Soldier and a total Level of 100 to achieve. Also you can earn lots of different Medals after a Battle, that get saved on your Account. Some of them are already and others will be needed to get Steam Achievements.
After about 20 Hours played so far i can say that Verdun is running pretty good for a Beta, Bugs do exist, but none of them was really worth talking about it. I guess it makes most fun with 4 friends who are using Skype or TS but most Players of the Community are nice guys, so you can always join a Game on your own too.
- Realistic and intense Squadbased WW1 FPS Shooter.
- Developers who really put effort into this Game. (if you are lucky you are able to play against or with them)
- No Crashes, only minimal Bugs even now in Beta.
- Addictive Level Up System, this game will entertain you a long time.
- Not one single Cheater/Hacker detected until now.
- Frontline Mode is the most tactical Gamemode i've seen in a Shootergame.
- Harcore Mode, If you get hit, most times one Bullet is enough to die or to kill.
- Soldiers have only a few different looks.
- Dying Animations look strange sometimes.
-After the latest Patch, the Gunsounds sound strange, more like Paintball or Airsoftweapons. (Many players already criticised that, will hopefully get fixed with the next Patch)
- It is hard to get out of the barbwire, once you got stuck there. I don't know if it's meant to be that way,but to me it is annoying. You either bleed out there within a few seconds if you move, you get shot as a stillstanding target, or you manage to slowly get out of the wire.
- It would be nice if the Animations of your Teammates were better. For Example, on my Screen the Soldier beside me is aiming to the right side but shot an enemy on the left side. It would be easier to make out enemies if you could see where your Teammates are shooting at. What i mean is, the Weapons of your mates should point at the target they are actually shooting at.
- Not that many Players so far, Servers are pretty empty until evening. (EU Servers)
I guess most of my Con's will be fixed with the upcoming patches, that Barbwire thing is probably meant to be that way.
If you are a Friend of FPS shooters, or you wanna get a taste of how it must have felt to fight in those Trenches you should buy that Game. I bought it for ~20 Euros and it is worth every Cent of it.