Ah, Early Access at it's finest. Vlambeer has really outdone themselves with this one. First of all, look at my hours. Do you think I'm gonna recommend this game or not? HELL YEAH I'M GONNA RECOMMEND IT, AND HERE'S WHY!
Nuclear Throne is a tough as nails roguelike-alike top down shooter with fast paced action and simple RPG elements with randomly generated levels. All of the different characters have unique abilities and playstyles, making them more than reskins, These unique abilities allow you to experiment different play styles with different weapons and mutations (perks). The punchy and crunchy sound effects make this game even better!
Here are the characters so far:
• Fish, a Creature from the Black Lagoon look-alike who can dodge roll and obtain more ammo. Last day before retirement.
• Crystal, a literal crystal with more HP and an ability to shield herself in a crystal shield. Family.
• Eyes, a walking ball of eyes who can pull enemies towards him and deflect enemy projectiles. All these thoughts.
• Melting, a sad melting man who only has 2 HP - but can blow up corpses, which can lead to some hilarious hijinks. Everything hurts.
• Plant, a bellsprout with lips who can run around with ease and plant vines to trap enemies and use it as a sense of direction. Kill kill kill.
• Yung Venuz (my fav), a hip-hop Venusian triangular guy who can shoot two bullets at the same time at half the firerate, and has a faster reload time. He's also a g. #verifyvenuz
• Steroids, a beefy meathead who starts packed with ammo and can dual-wield weapons. Time to flex.
• Robot, a cute machine who can find better weapons and eat weapons for ammo or HP. Kill all humans.
• Chicken, a rambo samurai thing who can enter a focus mode. She can also lose her head when she reaches 0 HP and grow her head back when she gets more health. Focus.
• Rebel, a female bandit who can summon ally bandits and shoot projectiles in a circle upon taking damage. A new generation.
• Horror, a sentient blob of rads who can pick from 5 mutations instead of the standard 4. He can also use his rads to create a powerful beam - but you'll lose your rads if you actually hit an enemy, which can mean you'll level up slower. The horror.
Everything about NT is interesting - the character designs, the enemy designs, the level designs, the music, sound effects, and even the lore that's up for interpretation. Another cool thing is that the devs stream development on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and they're cool dudes! I'm too shy to talk to them directly, but they're awesome and crazy people you NEED to pay attention to.
This game is just insane, and I love how you can be a Plant or a triangle with a gun. That's just... amazing...
I've been in love with this game ever since the MOJAM prototype "Wasteland Kings," so please Vlambeer... turn this into something AMAZING!
Even if it's not done, I'm pretty sure this will be my Indie Game of the Year.
I'll have to thank:
Jan Willem Nijman, Rami Ismail, Paul Veer, Jukio Kallio, Joonas Turner, and Justin Chan. (and Doseone for the YV voice)
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna play me some Nuclear Throne. #teamvenuz #poppop