7 Kwiecień 2014
The Alpha 6 update is finally here! It's about a month late, but you'll see that the wait was totally worth it. For this update, we have started the huge task of totally replacing the game UI. After a bunch of iterations, we have settled on a style that we feel is a great balance of fun and functionality. This is still very work in progress, and there are still a lot of parts of the UI that still need to be switched over to the new style. In addition to new UI, be sure to check out new official puzzles, new parts, some usability tweaks, part adjustments, and a new scenery set!
15 new official puzzles have been added. Our last puzzle update was mainly made up of easy puzzles, this batch should give more of a challenge. Check them out, and share all of your crazy exploits and issues :-)
- Part Disposal: Plug this in and drop parts into it to make them disappear forever.
- Flying Saucer: The flying saucer works like a blimp, but it moves vertically. It will fly up until it bumps something, then it will turn around.
- Thread Bobber: Attach a belt to this to turn rotational energy into a pulling motion. This allows you to use a belt to pull a rope.
- Sound Block: There are two types of sound blocks, "physical" and "powered". Physical blocks will play a sound when they are hit by something, and powered blocks will play a sound when turned on. REAL SOUNDS COMING SOON.
- Color Block: Color blocks function like sound blocks, but will instead show a color when turned on.
New UI & Usability Fixes
We are in the process of doing a total overhaul of the in-game UI. This is part one of the change, with the major game modes receiving an update. In the next update, the changes will be more refined, and the rest of the old UI will be changed.
- New play screen
- New workshop
- New main menu
- New game settings
- New make mode
- Belts and ropes no longer go off of the screen while playing a puzzle.
- We changed how pulleys connect to ropes. Now you can just drag a rope over a pulley to either thread it through, or to unhook it from a pulley. This is a WIP functionality, let us know what you think about it in the forums.
- Added curved ends to belts and let either unattached end be grabbed.
- Added larger graphical handles to ropes and belts to make them much easier to grab.
- Moved part help button to no longer be on top of wall handles.
New Part Art
New art has been added to a bunch of the parts. We have also added new "effects" that we are experimenting with. This includes things like stars above Tim's head when he gets knocked out, and onomatopoeia for some special in game effects.
A NOTE ABOUT NEW LASER ART:
The new laser art has slightly adjusted the collision boundaries for most of the laser parts. If any of your puzzles or contraptions use these parts, there will most likely be some part overlaps. If you have any creations using these parts, you should check them out and see if anything needs nudged around.
- Fixed blurry textures on certain parts
- New Laser Repeater artwork
- Added new Domino artwork
- Added new Red, Blue, and Green Laser artwork
- Added new Laser Outlet artwork
- Added new art for Laser Mixer
- Added new artwork for the Mirror
- Added new artwork for the Powerstrip
- Sounds added for Tim's voice
- Play curse effect when Tim is hurt.
- Chomp effect for Steve
- Play boom effect at end of cannon
- Eating effects for Waldo and Milton
- Fight animation for Waldo and Milton
- Chimney smoke when Tim gets home
- Stars above Tims head when knocked out
- New explosion (WIP)
New Scenery Set
We added a new basement scenery set. With this set, we tried a few new types of parts to help you customize your backgrounds. There is a pegboard broken up into sections so you can make it into a custom size and shape. There is also a chalkboard with a bunch of different drawings you can use to make it different every time. It's a pretty fun set to play around with.
Part & Physics Changes
A number of physics and part behavior changes have been added. The biggest change being that the trapdoor stick and "match device" key will no longer interact with anything once pulled. Although this is not realistic, we found that having these objects actually interact with other things was more annoying than fun. It was no fun to have to create some sort of holder every time you activated one of these parts. There was also an extreme amount of differentiation on how they would behave based on the angle and strength that they were pulled at, which caused contraptions to behave very differently very easily. Because of these annoyances, we have decided to make them no longer a problem. Please give us any feedback on this change in the forums and let us know what you think.
- Made Blimp get popped by flames
- Fixed how explosions create holes in walls to correctly handle all various rotations of wall
- Let Blimp be programmed so that it can go slow or fast
- Toast won't go through walls anymore
- Toast is now a separate physics object instead of being attached to the toaster.
- Removed collision borders from Match Device stick and Trapdoor stick
- Made it possible for mouse, cat, and dynamite get sucked into vacuum
- Add smoke trail to missile
- Made Caution Wall (black/yellow stripes) not affected by explosions
- Made Vacuum wind affect the Jack-in-the-Box head
- Made initial Cheese state rotatable
- Made initial Nitro state rotatable
- Made Nitro explode when sucked into Vacuum
- Made initial Big Wood Crate state rotatable
- Made Big Wood Crate use default post physics callback
- Don't allow Vacuum to destroy (suck in) Recycling Box
- Don't allow Vacuum to destroy (suck in) Cardboard Box
- Made Vacuum wind affect the Punching Fist
- Made explosions affect the Punching Fist
- Added Tea Kettle to the wind group
- Adjusted Tea Kettle so it won't be sucked into Vacuum
- Made Rocket not sucked into Vacuum
- Made Missile not sucked into Vacuum
- Made Bottle Rocket not sucked into Vacuum
- Made Dynamite not sucked into Vacuum
- Made Steam Whistle affected by explosions
- Added Steam Whistle to the wind part group
- Made initial Bird Cage state rotatable
- Made Balloon pop if sucked into Vacuum
- Made initial Balloon state rotatable
- Made initial Dripping Bucket state rotatable
- Fixed bug so that Dripping Bucket won't continue to create Water Drops after it has been sucked into Vacuum
- Made Spring Trapdoor safe so that Tim and Nitro can bounce off of it without exploding
- Adjusted Spring Trapdoor so it is affected by explosions
- Made Lawn Mower Motor handle affected by explosions
- Made moving Gears pop Balloon, Paper Lantern, and Blimp
- Fixed Candle so it is blown out by Bellows and other wind generating parts
- Only suck pin of Match Device into the Vacuum instead of the whole Match Device
- Made Teeter-Totter only able to flip Electrical Switch when it is moving
I've run into the character limit for an announcement post, so I can't get all of the bug fixes in here. For a complete list of changes, head over to the forum to see the WHOLE POST