Български (Bulgarian) čeština (Czech) Dansk (Danish) Nederlands (Dutch) Suomi (Finnish) Français (French) Ελληνικά (Greek) Deutsch (German) Magyar (Hungarian) Italiano (Italian) 日本語 (Japanese) 한국어 (Korean) Norsk (Norwegian) Polski (Polish) Português (Portuguese) Português-Brasil (Portuguese-Brazil) Русский (Russian) Română (Romanian) 简体中文 (Simplified Chinese) Español (Spanish) Svenska (Swedish) 繁體中文 (Traditional Chinese) ไทย (Thai) Türkçe (Turkish) Help us translate Steam
The team that created the original Incredible Machine® is bringing all of the Rube Goldberg craziness to the modern age. The final version will have you Solving puzzles involving ridiculous chain reactions full of hamster motors, trampolines, alligators, cats, and so much more.
View all 10 screenshots
Watch all 2 trailers
Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
Learn more about Early Access.
What the developers say:
“Contraption Maker is in a releasable "Alpha Version" state, which means it is playable, but not yet finished. The current version is missing features, has some bugs, and still requires polish. However, if you do buy into the Early Access, you will be helping the original team that created The Incredible Machine make a new game that will be so much more than the original. Our Alpha is already fun, and now we want to get your feedback to make it even better.
Our initial focus for the Contraption Maker Alpha has been to make a great sandbox experience with our "Maker Lab". Although there will be lots of great puzzles in the final release, do not expect puzzles in this initial Alpha version. The game is still in development, and is going to have many new parts and features regularly added to the game. As we make changes to the physics, functionality, and size of parts, there is a chance your creations will break in newer versions of the game. Be prepared to fix or throw out old contraptions as the game progresses through its initial stages.
We are offering players the ability to receive Early Access to the Alpha at a discounted price from the final release version. Signing up for the Early Access of Contraption Makers will give you Alpha access as well as the final 1.0 version when released. We are looking for passionate fans who will be willing to give their input to make the game better! Play and share your contraptions through the Steam workshop and share with us what you would like to see to make the game better on our private forums at http://forums.contraptionmaker.com/. We look forward to working with you to make CM into something special.”
Recent updates View all (4)
November 14th, 2013
Alright, here it is: Alpha 3! Even more parts for you to play with, some new puzzles, and a lot of usability fixes to make building your contraptions a much smoother process. Grab the latest update from Steam, or buy the Early Access to start playing this awesome new build!
New Parts13 new parts have been added, a big portion of which are lasers and their associated parts.
- Egg: The egg can roll around and be thrown around your contraptions. If it falls too far or gets hit to hard it will break. Try to throw it as far as you can without breaking it.
- Egg Timer: Set a time and then hit the button on the top or bottom. When time is up, the hand will give a poke.
- Lawn Mower Motor: Attach a rope and pull the starter. The mower will run forever.
- Bellows: Hit the bellows with a ball to give a one time gust of wind.
- Steve the Crocodile: Steve just hangs out and eats whatever comes his way. If he can't eat it, he will toss it up in the air.
- Phil the Fish: Phil swims around in his bowl. If you break the bowl, it will attract Waldo.
LasersLasers and associated parts have been added. This is the very first version of lasers, and they do not have final art, but they are functional.
- RGB Lasers: Standard lasers come in red, green, and blue. They must be plugged in to turn on.
- RGB Inverse Lasers: Inverse lasers turn on by default. If the sensor on the back is hit by another laser, it will turn off.
- Mirror: Bounce lasers around with mirrors.
- Splitter: This will split one laser into two.
- Laser Outlet: An outlet powered by laser input.
- Mixer: Mix two lasers to make a new color.
- Repeater: Extends the reach of a laser. It can also have a delay applied to how long it takes to turn on and off.
New PuzzlesA smaller update than last time, but there are 10 new official puzzles. These are all categorized as easy. As we have watched many people play the game, they have asked for easier puzzles to help ease them into the game. We will add more hard puzzles eventually, but until then there are plenty of awesome, hard puzzles in the Workshop.
Additional Scenery PiecesNo new scenery sets, but the forest and underwater sets have had more parts added to them. Enjoy playing with new trees, cabins, shipwrecks, and more.
Usability ImprovementsA number of usability improvements have made the game easier to use. The biggest change is how ropes and belts are handled. Ropes and belts can now be selected directly instead of having to first select the part they are attached to. Also, when holding a rope or a belt, all possible attach points are shown to make it easier to see what can be attached to.
This is just a small sample of what has been improved and fixed. Check out this FORUM POST for a full list of changes.
SPECIAL NOTEThere were a number of part changes and physics changes that may affect how your current contraptions run. Some are simple, such as the fuse being moved on the cannon.
However, there were some changes made that fixed a number of physics determinism issues. These are needed changes which help make sure contraptions run the same every time on all sorts of different computers. There is a chance that it can affect some contraptions though, so it would be a good idea to run through your current contraptions to update them.
October 7th, 2013
Here it is, Alpha 2! More than just bug fixes, this update comes with new parts, puzzles, and more! Grab the latest update, or buy the Early Access to get all sorts of new Contraption Maker goodness into your hands.
New Parts12 new parts have been added , both old and new. Not all of the new parts have final art, but they are functional and we want to get them in your hands to play around with.
- Solar Panel: Create power by using light.
- Remote Bomb: Hit the detonator or pull it with a rope to set off a bomb somewhere else in your contraption.
- Small & Large Wood Planks: Wood planks that can be stacked up, or hook ropes to them. Lots of possibilities with such a simple part.
- Wrecking Ball: A heavy wrecking ball that can attach to ropes. Cause some destruction!
- Domino: Line them up & knock them down. A classic piece for making chain reactions.
- Milton Mouse: Milton is a simple mouse. He likes cheese and he is scared of cats. Use these influences to move him around your contraptions.
- Milton's House: Get Milton to his house as a goal for your puzzles & creations.
- Power Strip: Extend your electric cords, or plug more things into one outlet.
- Electric Light: A light bulb powered by a switch instead of a rope pull.
- Invisible Wall: A wall that can't be seen while the contraption is running. Use it to make parts look like they are interacting with the scenery, not for making annoying puzzles :-)
- Incline: An incline that can only be set to specific lengths. Useful as a puzzle piece.
New PuzzlesThere are 25 new official puzzles, bringing the total up to 30. We are still focusing more on the builder right now than puzzles, but we wanted to give you guys more to play with. If you want more puzzles, there are over 100 in the workshop for you to solve as well.
New Backgrounds2 new backgrounds, underwater and alien planet, have been added. These give you a bunch of new scenery pieces to play with.
Background AnimatorBring your backgrounds to life with the new background animation tool. It's a little touchy right now, but it's pretty easy to use and very powerful. Create looping or one off animations to really bring your backgrounds to life.
New MusicWe've added some temporary music so you no longer have to play in silence. These are not final, and the soundtrack will be an ongoing project. Music was a huge part of the original Incredible Machine, and we want to recreate the feelings that it made the best we can.
Performance Improvements & Bug FixesA number of bug fixes have been added, as well as some performance improvements. The game now runs a lot better on less powerful machines. A full list of fixes can be found HERE.
We are loving all of the creativity we are seeing out in the workshop, and your input on the forums has been very valuable to us. We were a little quiet the last couple of weeks, but we will try to keep you guys more updated in the future. Expect weekly updates on our blog and in the forums. Alpha 3 should hit in about a month with even more parts and fun things to play with. Until then, keep making crazy contraptions and puzzles!
“It is a from-the-ground-up modernization, with enough familiar elements to instantly excite old fans of The Incredible Machine and enough modern touches to fuel the imaginations of gamers who have never touched the original.”
“Contraption Maker is catnip for engineers, a phenomenal implementation of an age old formula. Bravo.”
About the GameThe team that created the original Incredible Machine® is bringing all of the Rube Goldberg craziness to the modern age.
The final version will have you Solving puzzles involving ridiculous chain reactions full of hamster motors, trampolines, alligators, cats, and so much more. Everything you loved about the original game is back and improved with a new physics engine, high definition art, and new parts and programmability. Our Alpha release focuses on the Maker Lab, where you can create your own contraptions, but that doesn't mean there aren't any puzzles. Currently the game has 40 official puzzles, and over 100 community creations.
Steam Workshop integration allows you to share your creations with the world. Cooperative play, sub-assemblies, mods and more are coming soon.
Current Alpha Features
- Over 80 Parts: An assorted batch of parts from paper lanterns to cats are available for all of your contraption building needs.
- Ridiculous Size: There's no part or size limitation to your contraptions. Build as much as you can to bring your computer to its knees.
- Some Puzzles: Although puzzles are not currently the main focus, there are 40 official puzzles and over 100 community puzzles for you to play.
- Fun Characters: Toolman Tim and Waldo the Cat are the first of many characters that will add life to your creations.
- Layered Background Tool: Use the background tool to create settings for your contraptions to exist in.
- Background Animation: Animate your backgrounds with our easy to use background animation tool.
- Video Recording: Record and share videos of your contraptions directly from the game without the need of any third party software.
- Steam Workshop Integration: Share your puzzles and creations easily through Steam Workshop.
- More of Everything: More parts, characters, and tools for the Maker Lab. The Alpha has a very limited selection of parts compared to what's planned for the final version. Expect to see lasers, gates, freeform coaster tracks, music blocks, and much more.
- Polish: This is the very first releasable Alpha, expect the game to become more and more polished as we release updates.
- Lots of Puzzles! Contraption Maker will have over 100 official puzzles to leave you scratching your head for days.
- Programmable characters:Characters like Toolman Tim (and his friends) will be able to interact with many of the parts in your contraptions. Use these interactions to program him and make him do what you want.
- More Workshop Integration: Share more than just puzzles. Share your custom backgrounds, sounds, part skins, and more.
- Cooperative Multiplayer: Work on your contraptions with friends and link them together to form giant contraptions!
- Community Challenges: Compete in occasional solo or team challenges to see who can build the most creative contraptions.
- Arduino & External Integration: Connect to Arduinos to power real world contraptions, or link to contraptions across the world for global chain reactions.
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP
- Processor: 1.7Ghz or Higher
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512MB VRAM
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 80 MB available space
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
Mac System Requirements
- OS: OS/X 10.7
- Processor: 1.7Ghz or Higher
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: 512MB VRAM
- Hard Drive: 80 MB available space
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
© 2013 Spotkin LLC - All Rights Reserved
"The Incredible Machine" is a registered trademark of its respective owner.
There are no public reviews for this product yet
You can write your own review for this product to share your experience with the community. Use the area above the purchase buttons on this page to write your review.