If you like hack'n slash game, read no further and buy this game. The fast paced action is satisfying, the graphic is clean and stylish, the music fits well (though some cycles are a bit short), the animation is slick, and combos are easy to connect as input timing is very forgiving. It may take a bit of time to get the gaming mechanic, but once you do, it is a blast to play. There are also different difficulties, skills to unlock, boss rush/tower modes, local co-op to keep you busy after you finish the game. Rain Blood Chronicles: Mirage is well worth full retail at $15.However
, the below aspects really affect the gaming experience.
- Random frame/sound lag spikes and slow down. I am most bothered by this. Very annoying. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
- Glitches. Game Crashes 3 times during my first play through and occasionally both my character or enemies cannot be seen.
- Inconsistent sound effect. Some sound clips are not recorded well. I can hear sound crackling. Also, there is one enemy that is louder than the rest when killed, not sure if it's "Pyre Alchemist" or "Enhanced Machinist". One more thing, the voice setting only affects cutscenes, not during gameplay.
Rests don't hurt the gameplay, but still annoying.
- Bad Translation. Story is hard to follow due to translation, and some dialogues are insanely fast. I had to understand what was going on through google.
- Chinese sounds like it is dubbed in the 80s.
- Only partial cutscenes can be skipped. I wanted to skip all cutscenes on my second play through but can't.
- The ending. I understand the game want to end on a cliffhanger for the next game, but it feels sudden. Also, after the final stage, there is a very long black screen before the credit start rolling. I thought the game crashed.
- Foreground and boss health bar (when 2 bosses appear at the same time) block the action on occasion.
- Achievements still don't work a month after release.
I hope the team can get some of the issues fixed soon and I have high hopes for the next installment.