I've played this game for, steam tells me, just under 25 hours over the past three days. Enough time for a fair first impressions review. So here is the short version, playing this game is like eating a fine icecream after you dropped it on the beach. It is tasty, and cool, and sweet, but every lick has annoying grit in it, and it has a salty aftertaste you don't care for.
This game is so full of bugs, it needs fumigation.
Don't buy it. Come back in six months and see if anyone has bothered to fix this, because as it is, it's an annoying mess.
Ok, details, for those without ADHD.
This has a great game in it. But like watching a scratched to hell DVD of your favourite film, it jutters along tripping over the various bugs, made all the more infuriating because you were enjoying the bits inbetween.
So what is wrong?
Bluntly, the game is not finnished. It's a late alpha of a great game or an early early beta of a good one.
Here are a list of the actual bugs I have run into:
* Graphics options don't save, so I have to reset them each time I start the game.
* KO'd characters who are saved with a medical satchel are still considered dead once you return to the shelter. They can no longer be spoken to and are missing from the job board. The end of day lists them as lost - even though they are still stood in place in the school (2 instances).
* No splitting of stacks. I picked up 12 gallons of fuel in lots of 1 or 2. I needed to split it between my characters to grab the last bit of loot - no deal. Or, ammo. Can't divide my ammo between the two characters using 9mm weapons. (persistant).
* Zombie model not in the correct place on the combat grid. Or is confused. Main character was being hit by said zombie, but any character that attacked that zombie moved six tiles down an aisle in a store to attack the zombie on a tile which does not appear to be occupied. Think displacer beast. (1 instance).
* Highly unstable client. The quicksave option should be for a cautious player moving into a challenging area of play, not as a safety measure against the game crashing. Dangerous moments seem to be as the day is ended in your bedroom (4 instances), speaking to people (2 instances), transitioning into or out of random encounters on the world map (9 Instances). Moving between basement and first floor of school (1 Instance).
*I healed 'Cindy' after I KO'd her. Rightly or wrongly I thought I may be able to recruit her to my group because she had a name, and was the first living hostile I had encountered. She got back up and resumed her attack (note, not as a zombie - as a knife wielding crazy) but could no longer attack her. No assault icon, just standard pointer with no function. (1 Instance).
*Easily broken steel rails on the plot. Began submitting data to the 'system' before Doug builds it.
* Davis tells me to go to a specific pharmacy for antibiotics for Doug - Just after I returned from looting the place.
* Max vanishes after his arrival and cannot be seen until he 'heals' 72 hours later.
* Despite being an only survivor of a scavanging mission, Davis berrates me for shooting first at the Human campsite. Claims someone on the mission complained but will not name who. - Did not notice a oija board in his office.
* Max complains about not being taken along on patrols - yet has been on one every day since he became available.
You know what... I'm tired. I could go on... but you get the idea.
It's a great game. Double Bear - please, please, please, please, please finnish this game. You released it very early. Too early. Put that behind us and put the game right.