Intro & Summary
Somewhere between a fantastic City Sandbox, a fair Survival Game and a good Parkour world. With some forgiveable failures and interesting genre meshes, it's a fun time.
Most people like to call this "Dead Island done right", and I'd agree, but I'd also call it Assassin's Creed done right, and a few others. It takes elements from lots of other games, and doesn't add anything, but enhances them to the point that they fit very well and add to the game.
* The crafting system is basic but good, and gives you a desire to collect.
* The parkour is basic but good, and makes you love running from building to building.
* The tech tree is basic but good, and fits very well.
* The combat, exploration, world are all basic but good.
There are a few, and they're mostly what you'd expect from an AAA title, but they're mild enough, or the rest of the game is good enough, that they're forgiveable.
* The storyline is complete trash.
* The characters are worse. There is no character development, at all and basically no arc or story curve.
* The voice acting is a mixed bag of fairly good and terrible.
Priced at £39.99 at the time of review. Personally I don't think any game is worth this much, but compared to other triple A's its pricetag isn't too inflated. It works out a quarter cheaper if you have friends and use the 4-Pack option. It'll likely go on sale fairly regularly, so wait for a saving of at least 50%, since it's nothing special vs other Sandboxes.
The DLC scheme is a complete joke and offers 2 Quarantine Zones, which were one of the most boring part of the game, and cosmetics. In short, completely ignore the DLC.