An hardcore gamer-oriented and enjoyable game for those who appreciated UFO-like games
and don't pay too much attention to graphics. Research, characters design
, story-telling, and ressource management are nice. RPG aspects are average.Interface, tactical aspects, game balance, and graphics are desappointing
(not completely bad though).
- The focus is put on ressource management and research. There is a wide range of technologies to discover
, and as other people already mentionned, you don't have a 'technological tree' to guide you but I think it's part of the roleplay and not a problem at all.
- There is a world to explore
, which is nice at the beginning but gets repetitive
and therefore boring after some time.
- The tactical aspects of the game are desappointing
. This is a shame because weapons are varied and nicely designed
, and have a great impact on combats, but the tactical game is almost ruined by a poorly concieved interface and some problems in game bablance (ie: some weapons or tactics are overpowered, while some other are useless).
As you can expect from a UFO-like game, you can control many aspects of the game, But as already mentionned about the tactical interface, the global map ('strategical') interface is also poorly concieved. It takes some time to understand where the useful buttons are hidden, and even when you know the interface, it still is a pain in the ♥♥♥ to use
- Characters design is well done
. Like in Jagged Alliance, you get attached to some of your characters. There voices are nice too.
- You have access to many skill options, which enables to build very differents characters, but only a small part of those skills are useful.
The story is interesting but not amazing, and you can make some (limited) choices that have some impact on events.
- I think it's one of the major drawback's of this game
: it looks like all the ingredients for a great UFO-like game where available, but the dev team didn't have time to perform the last tuning.
- For example, there are too many alien attacks, and even if you completely dominate them in combat and/or world domination, they still attack you very often and it gets very annoying. It consumes time without adding any fun to the game.
- Other examples : some items are completely useless, hybrid character classes are too powerful compared to regular classes, some weapons are overpowered (I mean, really), conquering the planet and building stations takes too much time, ...
Conclusion: in spite of the many flaws in this game, you'll probably want to get to the end because you get immersed in this universe. I would advise this one to UFO-like fans, but NOT to other players