Two words: BUY IT!
Its old, and forgotten by their developers, but ist great anyway. It has all what good RTS game should have:
- Unique story, never seen anything similar in other RTS games
- Unique resorces gathering system (not seen in any other games, and still fits 100% to the story)
- Unique crew management (loosing man in first mission, can make others harder up to the last one, cause crew advance with you, crew members are limited, no respawn, no training units, permadeath)
- Crew has skills (and they train them on mission, and as reward for good mission score)
- Three factions quite balanced even while having different units, and different technologies
- Modular vehicle construction (you choose vehicle type, engine type, weapon type, and steering type)
I played this game when it came out 13 years ago - still having box version, and playing from time to time. Today I saw it on steam and bought it without even small doubt.
P.S. To STEAM crew. Why its marked as "indie"? Its made by Altair Interactive ( now called Altar Games )-> the same that made UFO;Afterlight, UFO:Aftermatch etc. Its also beeing published by Bohemia Interactive (Arma game series, Operation Flashpoint, Take on Helicopters). Its not indie...