sorry guys. i really wanted to like this game. i mean i REALLY REALLY wanted to like this game. i have been an EDF fan since GDF days. i thought, how hard could it really be to make an EDF game? even i know the formula, these developers surely couldn't have messed it up.
how to make EDF game
1. fill stupidly large area with large amounts of generic destructible objects, i.e. rocks, buildings, etc.
2. put bugs or robots or aliens or something on the map - lots of them, like wayyyy too many
3. make tons of weapons of radically varying levels of actual usefulness and cram them in
4. create mission scenarios that are all as vague as humanly possible cuz they are all the exact same: kill everything
5. crank all engine physics up into the red, then do it again 2x for good measure
just like that, i've made a good EDF game. so what went wrong here?
EDF is not an action 3rd person shooter series. it is sooo slow, missions are mind-numbingly long, it's repetitive beyond all reason and you never really feel like you've made any progress in the games because nothing has changed. you're doing the exact same thing you were 2 missions ago. literally - nothing has changed. it has a heavy hypnotic, zen-like quality to it - clearing a massive map is simple but tedious, and there is a special kind of old school arcade pleasure in glancing at your minimap occassionally to see the field of red dots slowly thin.
in insect armageddon, they have forgone that slower pace, and put in it's place a weird checkpoint system where enemies come in individual waves. they made a decision to have the bodies "vaporize" instead of just explode into the distance - a damn shame considering the gonzo physics has always been a huge draw for these games. the cheeky humor is intact, although they went for more starship troopers than godzilla. the guns definitely blow stuff up. but it just doesn't hit the spot, not for a long-time EDF fan anyways.
if you're looking to scratch that meditative, map-clearing arcade itch, i highly recommend just picking up Lost Planet: Extreme Condition instead if you don't own it already. it's not the same as an EDF game and hopefully one day we'll get a real one here but for now it'll have to do.