Evoland is a trip through some of the worst features of games past, and reminds you why developers have since moved on to better mechanics. Here are a few of them that the game indulges:
1. One-hit game overs - You're in this mode at the beginning of the game. Add to it that you're on a grid and so are the randomly-moving enemies, and it's a recipe for disaster. I died at least 3 or 4 times, starting the whole game over every time, before I could reach the first save point.
2. Really annoying low-health sounds - I get it that we're supposed to be careful, but come on. It sounds like the alarm clock from hell, and I had to actually shut off the sound when it came on. Don't believe me? Search for it on YouTube and listen for yourself.
3. Backtracking - Notice that chest that seems impossible to get to? That's right, if you want to get 100% completion, you're going to have to backtrack a LOT. You only get certain skills later in the game, and will have to head back to earlier areas to use them to get all the collectables. The game world isn't massive, but the random encounters will be fighting you every step of the way.
4. Loading screens - Yeah, yeah, reading data from disks on the PS1 was a tad slow, I get it. But don't give us artificial loading screens at every one of the four area transitions in a town, and especially not in a town with...
5. Multi-layered fetch quests - We need bombs! That guy probably has some! "Well I used to, but not anymore. Go talk to that gal." ...and you finally get the bombs FIVE PEOPLE (and even more loading screens) later.
6. A lack of mid-boss checkpoints - Figure out the boss's first stage, only to get stomped flat on the second? Too bad! You get to fight the entire thing all over again. (I normally wouldn't complain, but the second stage is essentially random and requires a lot more luck than skill.)
While interesting at least in concept, it doesn't stand up in practice. Aside from the interesting time travel puzzle and the surprisingly functional Diablo section, it's all incredibly boring and tedious. You're much better off playing the games it borrows from (2D Zeldas, Final Fantasy VII, Diablo), than this mess.